Unidentified fossil in Alabama rock

Hayley

I found this today in Monte Sano Park off the Sinks trail. The area is known for Mississippian fossils, but I have no clue what this could be. The rock that it is in is unfamiliar to others I have seen in the area. I can tell if it looks marine or something else. The park is right in Huntsville. Maybe somebody here has seen something like this before.

5D01CC6C-F80A-4BBB-BE7F-8BDE58BB3B48.jpeg

It's an impression of something. Better focus and photos of the other five sides would help. It looks like plant material to me, but I may be way off. Let's see what the folks more familiar with that area say about it.

P.S. -- welcome to the forum.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thank you! I will get another picture when I get home. I was thinking plant or bone but I haven’t seen many of those in this area.

Yeah, it does resemble bone a bit. It may not be from that area. Sometimes rocks get carried by people or other means to areas hundreds of miles away. For instance, northern Illinois is covered in glacial drift that came from as far away as Canada, which includes rocks and some fossils that not formed anywhere near.

Mark.

It is also interesting there is another piece of the same “stuff” right next to it that I didn’t notice before. This was found on a mountain peak. It almost looks like there is a thin layer of “enamel” still left in the impression, where the rest has worn away. Like you would see with a shark tooth where the enamel has worn off. I reeeaaallllyy want to say something like Pleistocene because there have been some sloths found near here in caves, but I’m not sure.

FB1CCF64-3D25-4B15-BE20-7BE8FFE2A697.jpeg

An ichnofossil ?

Can you show us the other sides of your piece please ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

This website makes it difficult to post photos, it keeps telling me the file size is too big...

You can crop them and refresh the page to post more photos.:)

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I am in the plant camp on this. 

F0EFCBB6-D3E1-4740-8164-B75196DEE86B.jpeg.ad331d0be308a0bdaa1c520923d3e61f.jpeg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

With the more recent photos I'm not seeing plant material. It does resemble a fish spine very closely.

Mark.

Alabama State Park Rules and Regulations:

220-5-.07

"It shall be unlawful for any person to destroy, disturb, deface, collect or remove any natural, cultural, historical, archeological, geological, mineralogical, etc., objects or artifacts from any Alabama State Park."

On 6/29/2019 at 10:45 PM, Hayley said:

This website makes it difficult to post photos, it keeps telling me the file size is too big...

Sorry.  Your subscription fees only cover a limited amount of server capacity.  A jpg virtually always provides sufficient resolution without chewing up gigabites of data, unlike (for example) a tiff file.  

Don

Interesting piece, reminds me of some lobe finned fish elements such as plates from the skull I've seen in the Pennsylvanian/Upper Carboniferous of the UK. Do you know if this is this from a freshwater formation or marine?

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

Interesting piece, reminds me of some lobe finned fish elements such as plates from the skull I've seen in the Pennsylvanian/Upper Carboniferous of the UK. Do you know if this is this from a freshwater formation or marine?

I am almost positive it is a marine saltwater formation. It’s strange because I haven’t found any other fossils in the immediate vicinity other than some crinoid stems and brachiopods stuck in matrix (very scarce). 

• I found this Informative 1

Sometimes the odd freshwater fish scale or tooth turns up in the marine deposits I collect from but they are rare, plant material is also rarer than in the freshwater beds but does still occur. It does resemble some acanthodian and shark spines with the little denticle like bumps and the parallel ridges running down it but it seems a bit too flat for a spine, shame its not more complete. 

Those strange bumps are what is bizarre to me. And it looks like there is more of it in the rock in small fragments. I just wish I could hold it up and at least know how old it is. It’s kind of frustrating lol

The "bumps" remind me a bit of a crab claw????

Mark.

Good shout @ynot, I'm also wondering if its tetrapod now you mention it. Every time I find what I think is a tetrapod bone its turned out to be rhizodont though! Crabs didn't appear till much later @Mark Kmiecik

2 minutes ago, Archie said:

Good shout @ynot, I'm also wondering if its tetrapod now you mention it. Every time I find what I think is a tetrapod bone its turned out to be rhizodont though! Crabs didn't appear till much later @Mark Kmiecik

Orthacanthus spine?

Mark.