July 2019 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

REMINDER: PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below.

Make sure you include all the required information, IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT (below) when you submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM.

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation Photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT  found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on JULY 31, 2019

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the topic is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Only entries posted with CLEAR photos and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!
Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. Find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found personally by you are allowed. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
  2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per member per contest category.)
  3. Your fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or Significant Preparation * of your fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
  4. You must include the Date of Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Date of Discovery (if not found in the contest month).
  5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
  6. You must include the Common and/or Scientific Name.
  7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the fossil was found.
  8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the fossil was found.
  9. You must include CLEAR, cropped, well-lit images (maximum 4 images). If you are proud enough of your fossil to submit it for FOTM, spend some time to take good photos to show off your fossil.
  10. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

* Significant Preparation = Substantial work to reveal and/or repair important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. The qualification of Significant Preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

******* Please use the following format for the required information: *******

Date of Discovery

Scientific and/or Common Name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region Found

Photos of Find (Please limit to 4 clear, cropped, and well-lit images.)

(If prepped, before and after photos are required, please.)

Date of Discovery: 07/04/2019

Name: Rudist Hippurites colliciatus Woodward, 1855

Age and Formation: Campanian St. Bartholomä-formation, Gosau-group, Eastern Alps

Locality: St. Bartholomä, Styria, Austria

Starting with the natural cross section of a small, ol´ rudist. It is really very small, even for this species. The outside of the rudist is totally enclosed in limestone. What makes this specimen somewhat special and "Ah!" to me is, that the filling has been deeply naturally removed from the inside of the rudist. About as deep as the inner diameter of the rudist. I did not remove the filling myself, it was mother nature! Well, there was mud in the void, but this does not count as prepping, it was just cleaning :). The three pillars (L at about 9, P1 at about 12 and P2 at about 2 are very well visible, view is apical.

Franz Bernhard

HippuritesColliciatus_36_4281.thumb.jpg.076c6de44030d7b2f9d18bd14e2f6c5f.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

• 2 weeks later...

Thought i would enter my latest tooth find into the ring. Found it on a spur of the moment trip after work at my local London Clay beach. At 58mm its not the largest i have found but it in the best condition with both cusplets complete and visible serrations. 

Tom.

Date Of Discovery: 15/07/19

Name: Otodus aksuaticus

IMG_0664.jpg.a83dc99b95231d2f1dcf7d4d4ec671ed.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg.2df419636bcf5f685e0bc91a7b17108f.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg.f84ff16c20ed8165705a85ae6d2ee742.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg.dfce5be503e4baccc3a482231f693059.jpg

• I found this Informative 17

This is the best find I have ever had and pictures are all I will be able to retain as they are being catalogued. I wish my pictures were better but the vertebrae were turned in for review less than 3 hours after I found them.

Date Of Discovery: 7/5/19

Name: Wahoo - Identified by Dr. Weems

Age: Miocene, four formations present but believed to be from the Eastover Formation

11.thumb.jpg.4337dec3726a0c17881609f912faef97.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.14b0b4f5e3b0e7ac54d3f03a7a7babb5.jpg

15.thumb.jpg.eec8d698145bfa1cde9e7988b586533f.jpg

16.thumb.jpg.cd71ab47856f40d69b663af7306e9580.jpg

Edited by RCW3D
Just saw that only 4 photos are allowed
  • I found this Informative 15

Rob :D

6 hours ago, RCW3D said:

Name: Wahoo - Identified by Dr. Weems

Please tell us the proper scientific name as well. That's from a mackerel, right?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

9 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Please tell us the proper scientific name as well. That's from a mackerel, right?

Acanthocybium (I just happen to be at the Calvert Marine Museum where that information was posted )

• I found this Informative 5

Can´t resist submitting also this one for FOTM:

Date of Discovery: 07/04/2019

Name: Rudist Vaccinites alpinus W(Douvillé, 1897)

Age and Formation: Campanian St. Bartholomä-formation, Gosau-group, Eastern Alps

Locality: St. Bartholomä, Styria, Austria

Two polished cross sections of a rudist Vaccinites alpinus, about 3 mm apart. All three typical pillars are there and well preserved (top of specimens), but not much else – large parts of the shell are missing and the shell seems to be pushed inwards (crushed) at the outer left and outer right.

And with its orange-brown, curved and contrasting cracks, these two slabs look more like an art object than a fossil! The orange-brown curved cracks seem to have not much to do with the fossil itself (compare with other V. alpinus from this formation: https://www.franzbernhard.lima-city.de/VaccinitesAlpinus.html), they seem to be related to a younger sedimentary infill and possibly to the crushing event. Such a younger, greenish-yellowish sediment – in connection with the orange-brown cracks – can be identified below the slender L-pillar (this sediment contains abundant quartz grains and is taking only a poor polish). But what really happened – I don´t know…

Franz Bernhard

AN_VaccinitesAlpinus_06_Text_kompr.thumb.jpg.270b3a7a0a4d471f28709728e70519e7.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

@RCW3D you dug that out of eastover? Great find.... How'd you spot it?

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

4 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

@RCW3D you dug that out of eastover? Great find.... How'd you spot it?

It was in a Eastover cliff fall; while I can't 100% certain that it came out of that layer, Dr. Weems stated that the matrix it was in was consistent with Eastover.

• I found this Informative 1

Mesopuzosia pacifica

Titanic Ammonite

July 13th, 2019

Late Cretaceous (Coniacian)

Yezu Group, Mikasa, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan

IMG_1297.thumb.JPG.649e738cfcbc27c45aa827447b6be62b.JPG

This is just an ammonite section. But, it's a section from a truly titanic ammonite. I had the privilege of going ammonite hunting with a local friend while I was in Hokkaido, Japan, and found some really nice specimens (most of which will need some prep work). However, the reason why I've decided to submit an incomplete ammonite instead of a complete one for the IPFOTM is because it represents the true specialty of Japanese ammonites; their sheer size.

IMG_0302.thumb.jpg.8b755bbe3affbf90c9786aa87efc29a2.jpg

Japanese ammonites are considered to be some of the very best the Asian continent has to offer; and also the biggest. It's relatively common to find small, complete ammonites buried deeper in nodules, but if you want giant ammonites, they're much harder to find. Both my friend (who has been hunting for quite a long time) and I haven't seen a giant ammonite section as nice as this, where at least two whorls are present and in really good, recognizable condition. Most complete giant ammos in Japan's museums were excavated out from the exposed riverbed layers with heavy machinery.

IMG_1232.thumb.jpg.c3b0c2a176345a66c709ba544134e6ac.jpg

In any case, it was a true joy to find this piece (bringing it back, not so much :P ). Hope everyone likes it too!

• I found this Informative 12

Date of Discovery: 07/15/2019

Name: Mediospirifer auduculus brachiopod with unknown Crinoid holdfast.

Age and Formation: Devonian of the Moscow formation.

Locality: Penn Dixie Fossil Park, New York, USA.

IMG_20190717_190911.thumb.jpg.a0596d6e46a78264486994f2beb7e16d.jpgIMG_20190717_190903.thumb.jpg.e6361146f8ff6bb3edd7fb7017d61328.jpg

Here is a fairly unique find from my first trip to Penn Dixie, the brachiopod is a mostly complete one and in my opinion quite pretty, but these guys are not that special on their own since they are fairly common. I find this piece unique due to the holdfast present on the brachiopod, holdfasts are not very common at the site and having nicely perched on the brachiopod only increases the beauty of it.

It was a very exciting find especially since I did not notice the holdfast until I could return home to look over all my finds.

Thank you for viewing,

Misha.

• I found this Informative 9

Discovered June 10, 2019.

Prepped July 6, 2019.

Bellaclathrus spinosus brachiopods.

Fort Apache Member of the Permian Schnebly Hill Formation.

northeastern Gila County, Arizona.

While trying to uncover an unknown silicified sponge in Permian Fort Apache limestone, I found a cluster of Bellaclathrus spinosus brachiopods with many fine spines that were used to keep the shell off the muddy bottom. Link to post: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/96545-fort-apache-limestone-finds/&tab=comments#comment-1070149

The brachiopod on the left side of the first photo which is about 1 inch across excluding spines was exposed with acid on July 6th. This is my FOTM entry.

IMG_0792 - Copy.JPG

Second photo: Bellaclathrus spinosus brachiopod in above photo partially exposed on June 27th underneath an unknown silicified sponge.IMG_0773 - Copy.JPG

Third photo: fully exposed unknown sponge found on top of Bellaclathrus spinosus brachiopod cluster.

IMG_0812 - Copy (673x1280).jpg

• I found this Informative 11

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 7/17/2019 at 9:14 AM, TomWhite said:

Thought i would enter my latest tooth find into the ring. Found it on a spur of the moment trip after work at my local London Clay beach. At 58mm its not the largest i have found but it in the best condition with both cusplets complete and visible serrations. 

Tom.

Date Of Discovery: 15/07/19

Name: Otodus aksuaticus

IMG_0664.jpg.a83dc99b95231d2f1dcf7d4d4ec671ed.jpg  IMG_0696.jpg.2df419636bcf5f685e0bc91a7b17108f.jpg  IMG_0697.jpg.f84ff16c20ed8165705a85ae6d2ee742.jpg  IMG_0638.jpg.dfce5be503e4baccc3a482231f693059.jpg

Nice tooth!

I wonder if this is an Otodus obliquus with chipped edges though. The “serrations” are too coarse and irregular and continue at about the same size all the way to the tip.

notice how the cusps are serrated and the serrations become fiber towards the tip.

It isn’t until O. auriculatus that there are well defined serrations all the way to the tip.

Still a great find to find an Otodus of that size and quality though.

• I found this Informative 1

Hey @Sinopaleus, I see you are still carrying that miniature 2cm rock pick around with you. :default_rofl:

Honestly, how big would you have to estimate that beast was in life?

• I found this Informative 3

16 hours ago, caldigger said:

Hey @Sinopaleus, I see you are still carrying that miniature 2cm rock pick around with you. :default_rofl:

Honestly, how big would you have to estimate that beast was in life?

:default_rofl: 

Darn you found out! I have a packet of them like toothpicks if you want one ;) 

This one, most likely around 1 meter in diameter. The biggest one I've seen is a Pachydesmoceras around 1.5 meters in length

I'd like to present for consideration my new favorite fossil I have collected:

Name: Brachiopod (Platystrophia, I think!)

Date Collected : July 1, 2019

Description: Approximately 5 mm/1.5 in, both valves intact when found. Once cracked open using a small hammer and chisel, the quartz crystals inside were revealed. The pictures just don't do it justice (if I do say so myself). Thanks for looking!

Renee

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg  GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-2.jpg  GetAttachmentThumbnail-3.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Sweet.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Bryozoa Horta

Found - July 23, 2019

Name - Atactotoechus fruticosus

Age - Middle Devonian

Formation - Moscow, Kashong mbr.

Locality - Livingston County, New York, USA

Size - 8" x 5" 

Just found! Complete and unprepared.

I find these colonies at only one locality here in NY. The majority of the Bryozoa colonies are branching and I have reassembled many over the years (pic included of a typical specimen). This is the first unbranching Atactotoechus specimen I found lying on the seafloor like a blob or a Star Trek Horta (in my eye anyway ;) ). The specimen was found in life position on top of a mat of fenestrate bryozoan.

A very rare find for me.

Thanks,

Mikeymig 

hortobryo1.jpg

Typical Specimen

1521228_573418382749272_712007549_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Name: Treptoceras crebriseptum (Orthoconic Nautiloid)

Geological Formation: - Georgian Bay Formation

Geological Era: Upper Ordovician (~440-445 Mya.)

Location found: Toronto, Ontario, CA

Date found: July 21st, 2019

Recently found this specimen on a river bank in my hometown of Toronto. I typically find them all eroded and in pieces so this one is one of the first ones found with my dad that is very large, intact and complete. We almost left it behind because it was very heavy biking back with a the combined weight of 30kg of rocks weighing you down in the beating summer heat (good thing we decided to power through and keep it!) Might not be the rarest find in the world, but I am very proud of it - especially as returning amateur rockhound! :):hammer01: 

5d391a0f198fb_20190724_222451(1).thumb.jpg.bf9ae0b2ea02543ec3d764d027f52b03.jpg5d391a0d05696_20190724_222805(1).thumb.jpg.fb9f7794fedbf896adf5a2672ef526d6.jpg

Ps: This is my first IPFOTM submission - let me know if I missed anything, also thanks to Monica for helping me identify the species

-Em

• I found this Informative 10

-

Found: 5th May 2019 - Prepped by James Carroll 16th July 2019.

Name: Ammonite death bed - containing Promicroceras, Asteroceras, Xipheroceras and Cymbites ammonites, alongside the darker areas which are fossilised squid ink. 

Hello all. This is a topstone nodule I found at Charmouth. These ammonites would have washed together during a jurassic storm almost 200 million years ago. It contains 4 species of ammonite alongside fossilised squid ink. I have included a photo of the nodule "as found" - I think we can all agree how well James has prepped this piece. Note the small Promicroceras with the shadow next to it; this ammonite has been prepped on a pedestal and is higher up than the other ammonites - through looking at sediment infill viewable on a couple of the ammonites - it has been prepared from the underside. This means this particular ammonite was deposited months; if not years before the others all washed together on the sea bed and rested on top of it. 

Many thanks! 

5d39a871a0c53_topstone1.thumb.jpg.7246932d118b3f15652a53db6c712cd8.jpg   topstone 2.jpg

As found,  before prep:

topstone 3.jpg

• I found this Informative 21

Here's my entry for this month's IFOTM:

Date of Discovery: Monday, July 22, 2019

Scientific and/or Common Name: Flexicalymene granulosa

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Georgian Bay Formation, Upper Ordovician

State, Province, or Region Found: Mimico Creek, Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada

Why it is Significant: This is my first complete trilobite find from the Greater Toronto Area!!!

Specimen as found:

DSC00430.thumb.JPG.edb1ae597f64a6c3b3e468fbeb31452e.JPGDSC00431.thumb.JPG.92fbc8a5372943deb890b91a301c9d2c.JPG

Specimen after prep: (Thanks, @Malcolmt!)

DSC00447.thumb.JPG.a647d07c09f470615a020969fce01233.JPG

DSC00448.thumb.JPG.651ecdbb33b7e27280fa90d520a9891d.JPG

• I found this Informative 13

On 7/24/2019 at 11:24 PM, Emthegem said:

Ps: This is my first IPFOTM submission - let me know if I missed anything, also thanks to Monica for helping me identify the species

-Em

1. You're very welcome for helping to identify your find!  (I must confess that it wasn't too difficult, though, since almost all of the orthoconic nautiloids found in the Toronto area are this species :))

2. If you want, you can add in the geological formation - it's the Georgian Bay Formation.

3. Are you a U of G grad???!!!

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Monica said:

1. You're very welcome for helping to identify your find!  (I must confess that it wasn't too difficult, though, since almost all of the orthoconic nautiloids found in the Toronto area are this species :))

2. If you want, you can add in the geological formation - it's the Georgian Bay Formation.

3. Are you a U of G grad???!!!

Okay will do!

Also, I am still in University at the moment in the Engineering-Coop program, so not quite a grad (yet). But so far I LOVE Guelph - super fun, people are awesome there and I reeeeeaaaally like my program!!!

BTW the cleanup job on that trilobite is AMAZING! I should clean up the trilobite I found a while back, still gotta learn how though.:trilo:

-Em

• I found this Informative 2

-