July 2019 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

22 hours ago, kameran said:

5d39a871a0c53_topstone1.thumb.jpg.7246932d118b3f15652a53db6c712cd8.jpg  topstone 2.jpg

Oh my God this is incredible! Might as well just take the award at this point haha!:ammonite01:

-

27 minutes ago, Emthegem said:

Okay will do!

Also, I am still in University at the moment in the Engineering-Coop program, so not quite a grad (yet). But so far I LOVE Guelph - super fun, people are awesome there and I reeeeeaaaally like my program!!!

BTW the cleanup job on that trilobite is AMAZING! I should clean up the trilobite I found a while back, still gotta learn how though.:trilo:

-Em

I'm a Gryphon, too!  Well, I'm a former Gryphon, since I was there from 1997-2001.  My major was Zoology - very interesting program, but Invertebrate Zoology during 2nd year was killer!!!  I loved U of G, too - it's the best Ontarian university in my humble opinion.  A few friends and I went back for the Homecoming game last September and College Royal this past March, and I think we're going to try to make it a regular thing.  I'm trying to convince my daughter (she'll be 9 in October) that she should go to Guelph, too - my husband went to U of T, though, so we'll see who wins... :P

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, Emthegem said:

Oh my God this is incredible! Might as well just take the award at this point haha!

It's pretty, but it has some good competition.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Date of Discovery: 7/14/19

Carcharodon carcharias, Great white shark

Neogene, Yorktown formation

Green Mills Run, Greenville, NC

This is THE best fossil I have ever found. Ths day I found it, we had found nothing worth mentioning so far, I rolled over a massive pipe in the river, and it was laying half out of the water. Out of all or the hours of digging that I, and others have done and posted pictures of, i have never seen anyone find white teeth in GMR. Let alone the size and condition. 

Size is ~2.8"

SmartSelect_20190715-100720_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20190715-100711_Gallery.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Way to go, Tyler!

That is certainly a top-shelf display case Great White--absolutely beautiful color! It looks like that was just recently washed out of a clay layer or some other matrix where it was protected from turning black like much of the other material from GMR. You obviously didn't find anything else of note that day since your luck was all wrapped up in this trip-making find. :thumbsu:

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, digit said:

Way to go, Tyler!

That is certainly a top-shelf display case Great White--absolutely beautiful color! It looks like that was just recently washed out of a clay layer or some other matrix where it was protected from turning black like much of the other material from GMR. You obviously didn't find anything else of note that day since your luck was all wrapped up in this trip-making find. :thumbsu:

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you! You are right about the clay, and it was recently washed out. I did not find anything else noteworthy either. Very lucky to find this tooth!

Herewith my entry (with apologies for the poor smartphone image quality):

Date of Discovery: Sunday, July 28

Scientific and/or Common Name: unidentified (trigonotarbid?) arachnid

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Late Carboniferous (Westphalian D), Osnabrück Fm.

State, Province, or Region Found: Piesberg quarry near Osnabrück, Germany

Specimen dimensions: about 20 mm wide (as fossilized).

20190729_215459_RFS.thumb.jpg.a24ddd43df94a0f3276392e2d9258674.jpg20190729_215359_RFS.thumb.jpg.10e4f4c2739722c66afaf0bdb7f00e9d.jpg

Photographs of specimen illuminated from different angles.

20190729_215639_RFS.thumb.jpg.30eed02ac64fda257badc4dfe3367be8.jpg

Photograph of counterpiece.

• I found this Informative 16

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Cannot resist putting in a plant fossil too (again with apologies for the poor smartphone image quality):

Scientific and/or Common Name: near-complete frond of Mariopteris nervosa.

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Late Carboniferous (Westphalian D), Osnabrück Fm.

Specimen dimensions: composite frond about 40 cm wide.

20190729_212605_RFS.thumb.jpg.79bfaa9f3f47054d76f125178d71af34.jpg

Piece, showing the characteristic white illite on dark shale-preservation, typical for fossils from the Piesberg.

IMG-20190729-WA0009_RFS.thumb.jpeg.165591ecddc33b6006c78760e193d8ed.jpeg

Counterpiece (remainder of frond collected in smaller fragments, which will possibly be glued on later).

• I found this Informative 12

Searching for green in the dark grey.

13 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

Cannot resist putting in a plant fossil too (again with apologies for the poor smartphone image quality):

and also:

Date of Discovery: Sunday, July 28

Scientific and/or Common Name: unidentified (trigonotarbid?) arachnid

State, Province, or Region Found: Piesberg quarry near Osnabrück, Germany

Specimen dimensions: about 20 mm wide (as fossilized).

Wow!! :drool: :wub: :wub: :drool:

Those are both incredible!

Don

On 7/25/2019 at 9:03 AM, kameran said:

Found: 5th May 2019 - Prepped by James Carroll 16th July 2019.

Name: Ammonite death bed - containing Promicroceras, Asteroceras, Xipheroceras and Cymbites ammonites, alongside the darker areas which are fossilised squid ink. 

5d39a871a0c53_topstone1.thumb.jpg.7246932d118b3f15652a53db6c712cd8.jpg   topstone 2.jpg

As found,  before prep:

OK that is quite fantastic as well!  :wub: :drool: :wub: :drool:

This is going to be one tough month to decide!

Don

43 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

OK that is quite fantastic as well!  :wub: :drool: :wub: :drool:

This is going to be one tough month to decide!

Don

Thank you Don, I agree some lovely fossils have been posted!

Corocrinus calypso

Four associated crinoid crowns

Date of discovery: September 2018

Prep completed: July 10 - July 29

Geologic age: Erian (Middle Devonian)

Geologic formation: Arkona Formation

Location found: Arkona, Ontario, Canada

Specimen measures 6.5 x 5.0 cm

Before prep:

Specimen was found in ~10 fragments weathering out of a concretion

July10.thumb.JPG.979430bd4fae8d1bc5b9e7ceb6971ad0.JPG

After prep:

July29.thumb.png.cdd1c6cdc1bd344244f012e57413983c.png

• I found this Informative 12

This is a serious "dart board" month, they're all great!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

12 minutes ago, caldigger said:

This is a serious "dart board" month, they're all great!

Yet all very different!

7 hours ago, paleoflor said:

20190729_212605_RFS.thumb.jpg.79bfaa9f3f47054d76f125178d71af34.jpg

Piece, showing the characteristic white illite on dark shale-preservation, typical for fossils from the Piesberg.

IMG-20190729-WA0009_RFS.thumb.jpeg.165591ecddc33b6006c78760e193d8ed.jpeg

Counterpiece (remainder of frond collected in smaller fragments, which will possibly be glued on later).

7 hours ago, paleoflor said:

Herewith my entry (with apologies for the poor smartphone image quality):

Scientific and/or Common Name: unidentified (trigonotarbid?) arachnid

Specimen dimensions: about 20 mm wide (as fossilized).

20190729_215459_RFS.thumb.jpg.a24ddd43df94a0f3276392e2d9258674.jpg20190729_215359_RFS.thumb.jpg.10e4f4c2739722c66afaf0bdb7f00e9d.jpg

Photographs of specimen illuminated from different angles.

20190729_215639_RFS.thumb.jpg.30eed02ac64fda257badc4dfe3367be8.jpg

Photograph of counterpiece.

:default_clap2:WOW!! gorgeous specimen! congratulations!!!

-

9 hours ago, Greg.Wood said:

Corocrinus calypso

Four associated crinoid crowns

Such a stunning specimen it made me say a bad word ;)

Amazing prepping of a truly beautiful fossil!!

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

With one day to go in this month's competition, I'm happy to see that we've had a nice surge in entries. The goal of this contest is to provide a nice gallery each month of drool-worthy items for the membership to ogle over and a place where the proud finders can show off their best finds (or completed preparations) each month. Though we only award one winner (in each category) each month, we enjoy seeing such a great diversity of beautiful (and enviable) fossils each month--even if it makes the voting decision supremely difficult. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

37 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Some preps are so incredible they eliminate much rarer and sought-after fossils. Maybe we need "Prep of the month" 3rd category?

Except that we don't always get such a nice diversity of prepped fossils each month. We've resisted suggestions to fragment the two basic categories we have now (vertebrates and invertebrates/plants) since we usually get a limited number of total contributions each month. If we received 100 submissions each month, we'd likely have to create a larger number of categories just to keep the contest manageable. With a limited number of entries, too many categories would result in default winners in categories where items had no competition. Members (or preppers) with a steady supply of items for a particular category would be shoo-in each month.

All of the entries entered each month are fossils that their finders are proud of enough to enter them in the competition. This contest provides a wonderful gallery of envious finds both as fossil "eye candy" and also to enlighten the membership in types (or localities) of fossils that they might not have been on their radar before. All of the entries deserve our praise (and frequently we can't help ourselves but to reply directly when we see some great entries) but we can't let this degenerate to the "everybody gets a trophy" level that seems prevalent these days. While only two members get to add a small digital award icon under their avatar image each month, the staff has always hoped that these monthly competitions would not get serious or contentious but instead be a friendly contest where all the members are winners since they are treated to a wondrous gallery of fantastic fossils each month.

Maybe one day the number of entries each month with increase to the point where we feel the need to create more categories but for now we're quite happy that we have enough to make the choice maddeningly difficult each month. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 4

I always go with the wich one would I like in my collection approach when I vote.

im just sad I can’t enter becuase I have to buy my unprepared specimens :(

(of wich I’m always looking for more hint hint):heartylaugh:

Hi guys/gals, this is my entry for fossil of the month, this piece was found 17/06/18 on Father's day on the Jurassic north Yorkshire coast in the UK (around 185 million years old) and was prepared this month. In this nodule are 4 large articulated Ichthyosaur vertebrae with a snout running a long the top, it also has a beautifully preserved rib underneath with paddle bone and neural remains, and to top it off has four Belemnite's in there running under some of the bones, thanks, Alan.

20190730_173320-712x712.jpg

20190730_174212-1246x1429.jpg

20190730_174142-1748x1512.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Date Of Discovery: 7/14/2019

Name: Reptile Trackways

Formation: Passaic

I haven't had much luck finding Triassic fossils the past few years despite multiple tries, but to me, this one makes up for all the failed attempts! The slab measure roughly 16 inches long by 8 inches wide and has well over 20 reptile tracks on it (probably closer to 30). 

I have no idea what all these little guys were doing in that area, but apparently that was the place to be roughly 200 Million years ago!

tracks best1b.jpg

tracksbest5.jpg

tracksbest7.jpg

triassic tracks best 1a.jpg

reptiletracks.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Great trackways, Frank! Are these considered Gwyneddichnium ?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me