Fossil finds from today

mjo_sharks_teeth

Here are my finds from todays shark tooth hunt. I found a lot of teeth today but nothing amazing. I did find a nice dolphin tooth. Sorry for the bad quality photo.

IMG_0166.thumb.jpg.13f664f060618f9c0e9ea04a9c76eacd.jpg

Edited by mjo_sharks_teeth
  • I found this Informative 2

11 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice haul! 

Love the rhynchonellid! 

I am confused as the brachiopod seems out of place and out of time in relation to the shark teeth and skate/ray teeth. Please explain. Otherwise a great haul.

3 hours ago, mjo_sharks_teeth said:

Here are my finds from todays shark tooth hunt.

From???

1 hour ago, fossilnut said:

I am confused as the brachiopod seems out of place and out of time in relation to the shark teeth and skate/ray teeth. Please explain. Otherwise a great haul.

What, you've never used brachiopods for size reference before? :heartylaugh:

18 hours ago, caldigger said:

From???

Didn't you read the title? They're from "today". :default_rofl:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Seriously, though, we would appreciate some geological context.  Where/what geological formation did you collect these from?  We don't need GPS coordinates or anything, but a rough locality would be nice.  That way we can compare what you are finding to what others have found at comparable sites, we can take a stab at identifying the species, and so on.  

Don

On 7/1/2019 at 6:07 PM, FossilDAWG said:

Seriously, though, we would appreciate some geological context.  Where/what geological formation did you collect these from?  We don't need GPS coordinates or anything, but a rough locality would be nice.  That way we can compare what you are finding to what others have found at comparable sites, we can take a stab at identifying the species, and so on.  

Don

I don't know what geological formation there from but they from the southern part of South Carolina near Beaufort.

11 minutes ago, mjo_sharks_teeth said:

I don't know what geological formation there from but they from the southern part of South Carolina near Beaufort.

That helps a lot!  Thanks!

Don

Some people would be happy to find that much. And I'd have been happy just finding that dolphin tooth :) You can't expect to find something amazing every day.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/