Paulding coral id

connorp

Found this on my third trip to the Silica Shale in Paulding, OH today. Looks like some kind coral, except it’s basically a disk. I feel like I’ve seen something like it on the forum before but can’t remember.

176CE76D-223C-44A5-8F33-6F350B05F026.thumb.jpeg.cfc174296c3d35e4dbb1bc8e303ed20c.jpeg

C414CEDE-7C2B-4DB9-B89E-5DA041AE9405.thumb.jpeg.bed5e0825bdba82d5e82d55b73ca1f3d.jpeg

7C39CAC5-D245-4CF9-B918-08C38B7C06B1.thumb.jpeg.05093d948afc9c74f5dabffdf7d3a09b.jpeg

Bryozoan covered brachiopod?? @Peat Burns is an expert that should give you the proper answer. Fun area to hunt for a few hours. Endless number of fossils. Send the quarry a thank you note. I know they appreciate it and it will help to continue their generous offerings!

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Bryozoan covered brachiopod?? @Peat Burns is an expert that should give you the proper answer. Fun area to hunt for a few hours. Endless number of fossils. Send the quarry a thank you note. I know they appreciate it and it will help to continue their generous offerings!

Doesn’t look like a brachiopod to me. It might be hard to see in the pictures but the entire outer margin is vertically striated all the way around as far as I can tell. There are also “pores” which doesn’t seem characteristic of a brachiopod. I’m trying to clean it up to better see though.

Here is an example  of a brachiopod encruste with a bryozoan from the College of Wooster that looks similar to me. Again, we will see what the expert of Paulding material (peat burns)will say.

1 Rafinesquina ponderosa (Hall) ventral2 Rafinesquina ponderosa (Hall) dorsal

A bryozoan encrusted, broken brachiopod showing the interior of the valve that was contemporaneously eroded is a reasonable guess. I'm just not quite sure.  There's something about it that makes me not totally sure.  It doesn't match the ventral edge of a trilobite cephalon.  I'm just trying to figure out the marked deep (?) concavity in front of the hinge.  I'd have to check and see if that's consistent with the common strophomenids at the site. The depth of the shell suggests Strophomenid.  Do the "ribs" appear to follow the margins of the shell, radiate from a single point on the margin, or radiate from the center?

I'd have to examine this one in hand to be sure of any of my speculation.

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

Pedicle valve of Pseudoatrypa devoniana.

I agree.

Don

• I found this Informative 1