Hannah_H

Hi everyone! I found this yesterday on a pebbley/rocky shore near Solva in Pembrokeshire, West Wales, UK. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? The stone is roughly 15cm x 15cm and was found on the mid shore. Thanks in advance! Hannah

20190630_154634.jpg

20190630_154701.jpg

Image1.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! 

It's an interesting pattern but I don't think it's a fossil. The pebble is worn round but the branching patterns aren't - if they were in the rock, you'd expect the curved pebble surfaces to cut through sections of it (as in a coral or bryozoan for example).

So I think it's an impression of something modern that has encrusted it - I don't know what though!

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

Ah okay, that makes sense - thank you for taking the time to have a look at it! Hannah

The way the "stems and leaves" very closely follow the curvature of the matrix implies that the pattern is surficial and not a preserved three-dimensional feature. It is probably staining of some sort caused by prolonged contact with a plant-like item.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond, it's interesting to learn more. I'll keep looking for that fossil!