Ammonite Fossil ID request

aangus

Hello, I am a new user and I recently picked up this ammonite fossil at a local rock & fossil shop. I got it for $80, and it has not been worked on much, only one side has been mostly cleared of rock. I have tried to use various sources on the internet and galleries, but I am new to this and have not been able to identify this fossil myself. It is decently large, and about 8-9 inches across at its longest. There are lots of deep ridges in the shell, but each ridge as far as I can tell is uniform, with no protrusions. Unfortunately, I do not know the origin of this fossil, or the type of rock it is in, though it seems to be very soft and break easily. I can provide more information and/or photos as requested. Thanks!

fossil_1.JPG

fossil_2.JPG

fossil_4.JPG

27 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I'd put my money on a Mantelliceras sp.

You have money? How'd you manage that?  :headscratch:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

14 minutes ago, daves64 said:

You have money? How'd you manage that?  :headscratch:

If you'll remember, I sold my third kidney last month. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Do you have pictures of the keel?

there should be 2 dots on the ribs of the keel to be a Mantelliceras.

If there are none, I would say Calycoceras.

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

58 minutes ago, aangus said:

@Manticocerasman I'm sorry, I'm pretty new to this and I don't know where the 'keel' of the ammonite is, could you explain?

sure :)  although Keel it not the correct term for those kind of ammonites but it is commonly used to describe the back of an ammonite. there is a whole terminology of names of parts of the shell of cephalopods. actualy I should have used the term "venter" 

I can post a few pictures with the terminology on ammonite shells if you are interested

I took a picture of one of the Manteliceras from my collection, here you can see the dots on the ammonite that I mentioned:

IMG_5174.thumb.JPG.cb6f7a6daeae060799d5caac35dcdcad.JPG

It would be quite informative if the nodes are present.  However if they are not, it could be because of how the specimen was prepped.  I think most or all of the original surface has been abraded away.

Don

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

It would be quite informative if the nodes are present.  However if they are not, it could be because of how the specimen was prepped.  I think most or all of the original surface has been abraded away.

Don

On 7/2/2019 at 12:58 AM, Manticocerasman said:

Do you have pictures of the keel?

there should be 2 dots on the ribs of the keel to be a Mantelliceras.

If there are none, I would say Calycoceras.

I see, thanks @Manticocerasman for explaining what the keel is. I looked at it from multiple different angles and couldn't find anything that looks like nodes or dots, but as was noted by FossilDAWG there are multiple other spots on this fossil that look like places where chips have been removed and surfaces have been worn down.

keel2.JPG

keel1.JPG

30 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

I can post a few pictures with the terminology on ammonite shells if you are interested

Unless it's already posted elsewhere on the forum, it can't hurt. I'm interested too.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

7 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Unless it's already posted elsewhere on the forum, it can't hurt. I'm interested too.

al credits to 'the paleontological association" ( those are pictures from "Fossils of the gault clay" ) on this terminology on ammonites:

IMG_5176.thumb.JPG.e0dc403ca2791581574ea00668f3a1c2.JPGIMG_5178.thumb.JPG.c3ae7263f37e326b972c157f5e18a8a6.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

2 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

al credits to 'the paleontological association" ( those are pictures from "Fossils of the gault clay" ) on this terminology on ammonites:

Thank you.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

16 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

Yes thank you, as a newbie to fossils this helps!