Reklaw

This is another piece from the Platteville formation in Beloit Wisconsin. Inside a gastropod shell there is a hexagonal pattern that sort of looks likes Paleodictyon, but I think this fossil formed in too shallow of water for Paleodictyon to occur, but I am not sure. Its on a 3" post-it note for scale. (There is also a nice Pterotheca to the left!)

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

I'm not sure what it might be, but in my mind could be something like a tabulate coral, maybe close to Pleurodictyum or similar.

(Paleodictyon - Pleurodictyum somehow similar names, but different taxa)

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't think it's in farm country(not Paleodictyon). Looks like a second body fossil next to it, and the bedding contour is wrong (indicates a higher energy environment).

Honeycomb coral trace possibly. I find lots of traces of those with the same symmetrical pattern. ( Favosites )

7 hours ago, Stingray said:

Honeycomb coral trace possibly. I find lots of traces of those with the same symmetrical pattern. ( Favosites )

True trace fossils from a tabulate coral would microscopic and exceedingly rare. In my opinion this is surely a body fossil.