fossilsonwheels

I am currently quite excited as I get to concentrate my collecting on Cretaceous era sharks. We are pretty solid on the Dino programs so the shark education programs are getting some attention. We want to bring more scientific depth and broader diversity of sharks to the programs. At the moment, this means a fun spin through the Cretaceous. This also does help the dinosaur programs too as we want to discuss the Western Interior Seaway in more depth.

One of the things an expansion in the Cretaceous means is some fun with micro matrix and tiny shark teeth. I have done some work with STH micro mix over the years but Cretaceous micro shark fossils is a new area of interest. I picked up a little bit of matrix mix from the Mesaverde formation. I found a publication on the fauna of the formation and there is some fun potential in this mix. I am rooting for Rhinobatos and Chiloscyllium personally. I will also try this with some Devonian formation micro mix I saw out there too. I would love to hear about any other Cretaceous micro matrix that would be good to look for. Micro fossils are a great way for us to diversify without digging too deep into our pockets. This should be an especially effective way to expand on the rays, guitarfish, and sawfish that we can present too.

If you have any suggestions as to good Cretaceous shark micro matrix or want to share any knowledge you have, please let us know !

• I found this Informative 1

Though I havent' collected any myself I have given thought to collecting some from the streams in New Jersey. Maybe our N.J. friends @frankh8147 @Trevor

@The Jersey Devil have given this a try?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

@TNCollector could help

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

14 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

If you have any suggestions as to good Cretaceous shark micro matrix or want to share any knowledge you have, please let us know !

Cretaceous ray and shark teeth can be quite small.  I typically use .4mm sieves when I'm washing Cretaceous matrix down to catch the really small ray and shark teeth.  A lot of Cretaceous teeth are concentrated in sandstone, mudstone, conglomerates etc. that are very difficult to break down even using acids and other chemicals. If you don't know how to do this, or how to use freeze/thaw or mechanical means, only purchase matrix already broken down and ready to search.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 4

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:

Cretaceous ray and shark teeth can be quite small.  I typically use .4mm sieves when I'm washing Cretaceous matrix down to catch the really small ray and shark teeth.  A lot of Cretaceous teeth are concentrated in sandstone, mudstone, conglomerates etc. that are very difficult to break down even using acids and other chemicals. If you don't know how to do this, or how to use freeze/thaw or mechanical means, only purchase matrix already broken down and ready to search.

Marco Sr.

I should have clarified, I am looking for suggestions as to good matrix that is ready to search. I do not have the skills or equipment to break down the matrix down myself. Thank you much

21 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Though I havent' collected any myself I have given thought to collecting some from the streams in New Jersey. Maybe our N.J. friends @frankh8147 @Trevor

@The Jersey Devil have given this a try?

I haven't took too much time on micros either but agree with Darktooth - if you could get your hands on some good NJ Cretaceous matrix, you might do pretty good. Unfortunately,  I'm guilty of not paying any attention at all to micro shark teeth.. 

6 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I haven't took too much time on micros either but agree with Darktooth - if you could get your hands on some good NJ Cretaceous matrix, you might do pretty good. Unfortunately,  I'm guilty of not paying any attention at all to micro shark teeth.. 

Awesome. You and @Darktooth have convinced me to find some NJ micro mix.

I found two more formations that I am going to try some micro matrix shark hunting, provided the seller still has some. I am going to try some Texas micros from the atco formation. Hopefully I am also excited to try some Permian matrix from the neva formation of Kansas. That may prove to be extremely cool as it gives us a very different group of sharks to talk about versus the Oklahoma sharks we have. Cladodont teeth are the prize here for me. I think these two plus the Mesaverde matrix is a good start for us.

I think this will not only be fun but hopefully productive for us.  Very small shark teeth and fossils are a great addition. Kids like learning about sharks big or very small. My goal is adding 7-10 sharks and shark relatives to the education program. We can post updates as we go through this, hopefully I have some cool stuff to report in the not to distant future !!

I may have some more Eagle Ford matrix available. It has shark and ray teeth. Send me a PM if interested. I also have some stuff from the Demopolis formation of Mississippi, but it doesn’t have the same fossil density as the Eagle Ford material. 

• I found this Informative 1