Shell Creek, Florida

Carol

We are looking for public access to surface hunt on Shell Creek in Florida.  We've never been there but we understand that Shell Creek is place for surface hunting.

I was there about 1 year ago in a kayak. And traveled way upstream.  The banks are almost solid shell.... mostly clam... for first timers it is a fairly long trip for very common shells. Surface collecting along the sanibel causeway can yield better material....though you won't know its origin...pleistocene shell is hauled in to repair wave damage and to act as mulch around some plantings. 

I dont remember where i put in, but it was a public park and boat ramp. Check a map for that...on the western side, where you would then travel east

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for your answer.  I saw some pictures of beautiful shells that were found on the creek.  I wonder where?

45 minutes ago, Carol said:

Thanks for your answer.  I saw some pictures of beautiful shells that were found on the creek.  I wonder where?

Usually, for those finding them that is where the time and effort pays off. The hunt is afoot ! Can't count the number of times I've hiked a creek and came back with not a thing. 

Good Luck !

Brett 

I was going to paddle up the creek this year and was given this advice:

A needed visit to Florida is coming up next week. I will be dropping my wife off at Ft Myers airport early to return to Minnesota and have some free time for myself. I thought about kayaking on Shell Creek to look at the shell banks after sending her home. While researching the creek, I found the post of your trip. Three miles by crow is a long way to paddle, but Google Earth shows Shell Creek Preserve 2 miles upstream from where you launched. Do you know of this site and whether access here is possible here. Also, would I paddle upstream or downstream from there to find the Bermont Formation shell banks? Thanks for listening to this "Snow Bird from the North". 

Mike

Hi Mike

I am sorry I am late in replying.  I don't know if you have made it to Shell Creek yet but just in case, it is a long paddle as there are a lot of bends.  Caloosahatchee material is present in many of these bends however I couldn't collect it effectively as there was nowhere to get out to dig, however if you paddle far enough, the creek eventually shallows out and you will see Bermont (Middle Pleistocene) deposits in the banks as well as some of the smaller tributaries which can be easily collected.  I hope this helps.