Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

On 4/10/2020 at 7:40 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

The baby Phareodus prep is done after 9.5 hours. :blink:

CF9E4D5E-2F4E-4F80-9C5E-06CA76A5A207.thumb.jpeg.96599a5f29e4ddc9eacc833998fcd085.jpeg

This turned out great...another fantastic prep job Kris! 

• I found this Informative 2

On 4/5/2020 at 8:59 PM, Randyw said:

Is that a phareodus testis?

I consulted Grande 2013 and he there referred to an earlier work of his (Grande 1984) where he did an in depth review of the Green River Formation fish fauna. The section on Phareodus is very helpful in determining species differences between P. encaustus and P. testis. On my fish, cranial morphology is hard to use due to its small stature. So, I moved to fin ray counts... The pectoral fin isn't well preserved past the first couple rays. Moving to the anal and dorsal fins... Ray counts for P. encaustus are anal: 22-24, dorsal: 20-21. Ray counts for P. testis are anal: 26-27, dorsal: 17-19. That's easy enough as my fish has well preserved anal and dorsal fins. My fish has 27 anal fin rays and 19 dorsal fin rays. So, I'm comfortable with the identification of Phareodus testis for my specimen.

I think the cockerelites is one of my favorite fish. Their dorsal fin is just so striking. You’re doing a great job like always!

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, Randyw said:

I think the cockerelites is one of my favorite fish. Their dorsal fin is just so striking. You’re doing a great job like always!

Thank you sir. This one is pretty nice. Mouth open is a better pose than mouth closed in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey @StevenJD, that little phare is absolutely Gorgeous!!!

Yes it certainly is!  The Cockerellites is looking great as well.  

• I found this Informative 2