Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

Ive got more fish than I know what to do with,,,,,,  but im falling in love with this little guy!

RB

@Ptychodus04 looking great! I'm amazed at how well these turn out. I'm posting some Prisci's on The Fossil Forum FB group so if you're a member check them out. I'll try to post on here later. Found some time to prep yesterday and went hog wild (first prep in weeks).

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

43 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Ptychodus04 looking great! I'm amazed at how well these turn out. I'm posting some Prisci's on The Fossil Forum FB group so if you're a member check them out. I'll try to post on here later. Found some time to prep yesterday and went hog wild (first prep in weeks).

Can't wait to see them. I'm a FB holdout. :D

• 1 month later...

Ok, get ready for more fish now that I have a lab full of them to work on. :thumbsu:

I have a contract prep to finish so the fish might be slow in the prep for a while but they are coming. Here’s a Diplomystus that came from the “mini-fish” mortality layer. It is about 30’ above the 18” layer in the stratigraphy of the GRF. There’s not a lot of prepping that can be done to these. The fish are extremely brittle and even a puff of air will blow them apart. So, you kind of get what you get when you split them apart. Thankfully, this one split pretty well, even if it was in 2 pieces.

384BCDB0-701A-4DD1-99DB-9E5973956B3C.thumb.jpeg.266029a99e8063c100ba48ab4be58a29.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 7:49 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

Here’s a Diplomystus that came from the “mini-fish” mortality layer.

I dont mean to call a 50 million year old fish any names,,,,,  but thats a 'fatso' fish!    I cant tell from the pics if the tail and dorsal fin are missing some bone or if its still covered with rock?    and you not missing much by not being on facebook.  I quit almost 2 months ago.   Not going back.  

RB

• I found this Informative 1

21 hours ago, RJB said:

I dont mean to call a 50 million year old fish any names,,,,,  but thats a 'fatso' fish!    I cant tell from the pics if the tail and dorsal fin are missing some bone or if its still covered with rock?    and you not missing much by not being on facebook.  I quit almost 2 months ago.   Not going back.  

RB

Definitely a fatty! The bits of fin are missing. They peeled off with the other side of the slab.

I wrapped up the prep on a really rotten Diplo this weekend. :wacko: It came out as well as can be expected with its state of decomposition.

I didn’t take a before shot. Imagine the fish 100% covered with matrix and you have the image.

7E2E5960-ADF4-400E-8753-376979370C17.thumb.jpeg.b829d984472df567cf4241e1c3210b04.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to hanging up some of my fish. Mostly, it is because my wife was about to throw me out of the house if I didn’t get them hung up. :heartylaugh:

The larger plate is hung on 1/4” square steel rod. I was able to heat it and bend it around the fish with my induction forge because rock is not affected by magnetic induction. Red hot metal and rock cool to the touch next to each other!

0A8EF9C3-B05E-4D20-A6BD-52B59472932F.thumb.jpeg.eb4399472d9bdfbb8379e3154a004854.jpeg

34F6D238-A1D6-47E5-A6C6-20627F3DED9D.thumb.jpeg.23c4560a3e6236dd49e55a9a89f56dcd.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Wow those look nice.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I finally got around to hanging up some of my fish. Mostly, it is because my wife was about to throw me out of the house if I didn’t get them hung up. :heartylaugh:

You probably would have hung them even quicker if she'd threatened to throw the fish out. They look good now. I'm sure she's happy.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

8 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Wow those look nice.

Thanks. I’m a fan of the minimalist display.  :thumbsu:

5 hours ago, Huntonia said:

Great display Kris! They look right at home. 

Nice use of the induction forge, working smarter not harder! :thumbsu:

That forge was a real game changer in my blacksmithing activities.

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

You probably would have hung them even quicker if she'd threatened to throw the fish out. They look good now. I'm sure she's happy.

You’re a wise man. She’s happy for now. Now, I have more room to bring fish into the study to fill the recently vacated space. 

2 hours ago, Randyw said:

Looks great! Love the fish too! Makes me want to get some more fish to work on myself. LOL!

I’m sick of fish. :DOH: All I need to do is prep the stacks of them in my lab to make room for the stacks I’ll collect next year. :default_rofl:

They look terrific on that textured white wall, and those steel rods work beautifully! Nicely done.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Nice job Kris.  What is the wife gunna say when she starts seeing fossil fish where paintings and pictures have been removed to make room for your rocks?   Ha!  :)

RB

16 hours ago, Pagurus said:

They look terrific on that textured white wall, and those steel rods work beautifully! Nicely done.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Nice job Kris.  What is the wife gunna say when she starts seeing fossil fish where paintings and pictures have been removed to make room for your rocks?   Ha!  :)

RB

Shhh. Don't type so loudly and maybe she won't hear.

I very much like the appearance of your mounting technique. It allows the fossil to be the star; but gives an impression that it is quietly and competently fulfilling its assigned purpose.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

3 hours ago, snolly50 said:

I very much like the appearance of your mounting technique. It allows the fossil to be the star; but gives an impression that it is quietly and competently fulfilling its assigned purpose.

You are quite the deep thinker. That's why we love you.

If your wife wonders where all the pictures have gone, there's an easy answer. Just tell her you're protecting them from exposure to air & sunlight by taking them off the wall, therefor ensuring that they last a long time. And since the fossils have already been around a long time, it only makes sense to replace the pictures with them. But.. tell her this while handing her a dozen or 3 of her favorite flowers and a certificate for a spa day somewhere expensive (it will help soften the blow if her hands are full). :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.