Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

Well, it looks like the fins are going to be a mess all around on this guy. The anal fin is pretty broken up as well. Oh well, still a pretty cool fish thus far.64D3B684-2D36-4B3F-87AC-86DA1334B790.thumb.jpeg.721326c5fadde0af12ea8884dd31935c.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

Those spines/fin on top is really cool. Looking good so far

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

HHmmm...  all you need to do is find another the same size, but with no head. Then remove the head on this one at the crack and.... 

Or find one that's complete and perfect and tell everyone you worked a miracle on this one..

Or......

Just do the best you can on this one & don't worry about it. They aren't all going to be perfect.

And one of these day's when I can actually afford one, I'll see about buying one from you to proudly display on my wall (well.. one of my walls at any rate, since I have more than 1). :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

2 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Those spines/fin on top is really cool. Looking good so far

Yah, the fish is really pretty well preserved. I'm just turning into a bit of a fish snob.

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

HHmmm...  all you need to do is find another the same size, but with no head. Then remove the head on this one at the crack and.... 

Or find one that's complete and perfect and tell everyone you worked a miracle on this one..

Or......

Just do the best you can on this one & don't worry about it. They aren't all going to be perfect.

And one of these day's when I can actually afford one, I'll see about buying one from you to proudly display on my wall (well.. one of my walls at any rate, since I have more than 1). :D

That's way too much work. If I was going to do that, I'd just become a politician and lie for a living. :default_rofl: I have a handful of these to prep and I'm sure I can let one go for a nominal fee to a fellow from my home state. :ninja:

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

still a pretty cool fish thus far.

Yes it is!  With the mouth open like that it's a real classic. Keep working your magic, Kris.

• I found this Informative 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

49 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

Yes it is!  With the mouth open like that it's a real classic. Keep working your magic, Kris.

I will be back at it as soon as I finish a Zoom with my CEO. :default_faint:

Wrapped up the Cockerelites. Not bad overall.

B771EC77-A09F-452B-BDA8-E53199B0A3C5.thumb.jpeg.0c1f561680736fe3d46a8fc4d8237833.jpeg

Then, I grabbed the next in line and low and behold... This one has it’s mouth open as well! What are the chances? :default_faint:

F1F9ADE9-9C47-4EE7-9A3A-9FAED1A5F0EB.thumb.jpeg.5cb3702dc8754bc6637e72011bbca6df.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Great work! Even when they aren't perfect lol. Even your "B grade" are way better then whats in my collection lol (though even you "F's would be better as I have none ;) ) Living in AK makes hitting the quarries tricky lol

2 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

Great work! Even when they aren't perfect lol. Even your "B grade" are way better then whats in my collection lol (though even you "F's would be better as I have none ;) ) Living in AK makes hitting the quarries tricky lol

Thanks. I bet it does make it hard. You got me on quality hunting and fishing though! 

8 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Then, I grabbed the next in line and low and behold... This one has it’s mouth open as well! What are the chances? :default_faint:

Maybe they both got buried at the same time while they were in the middle of a conversation? :D

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 10/14/2020 at 12:41 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

I'm just turning into a bit of a fish snob.

It wasn't very long ago when in the fish quarry you told me that back home you would keep little pieces of fossil fish and now you just toss those away.  Ha!  :)   Also, that second fish looks to be in much better rock. 

RB

9 hours ago, RJB said:

It wasn't very long ago when in the fish quarry you told me that back home you would keep little pieces of fossil fish and now you just toss those away.  Ha!  :)   Also, that second fish looks to be in much better rock. 

RB

Too true. Yep, the second one is in much better rock. I got into the fins a bit this evening and they look to be better so far.

As I mentioned in @Kane’s thread (sorry for hijacking your thread buddy) I’m slow on the prep due to an injured elbow. I did get out for a bit this afternoon and the fins on the current Cockerelites are beautiful. I’m able to prep them out to 2 splits of the rays on the caudal fin! Unfortunately, I had to evacuate the lab without a picture. The left arm sleeve on the cabinet partially pulled off the box and started allowing fine abrasive to waft out all over the place. I noticed an odd rocklike odor and looked down to find my upper arm, torso, and leg covered in fine dust. As you can imagine, I got out of there as quick as possible to keep from breathing any additional abrasive. Just my luck, I’m supposed to go out for dinner tonight and I’ll probably still be coughing from this. Everyone’s going to think I have Covid.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your injury! Hope it heals up alright!

p.s. I find that my continuing cough gets me a lot of personal space these days :heartylaugh:

12 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your injury! Hope it heals up alright!

p.s. I find that my continuing cough gets me a lot of personal space these days :heartylaugh:

The doctor said as long as I don’t injure it further, I’ll feel better in 18 months. :default_faint: What are the odds I make it that long? Thankfully, most of the cough was gone by dinner. My wife actually threatened to leave me home so I wouldn’t freak out the restaurant. :default_rofl:

I got back into the lab and repaired the box, only to start smelling that same dusty smell. No leaking on the box, where’s it coming from? Low and behold, I had a bad seal on the abrasive unit. The moment I pushed the pedal to start the abrasive flow, it started pumping abrasive out into the lab! All fixed now. :fistbump:

Here’s a pic of the caudal fin on the Cockerelites. Man, the preservation is superb.

F4E1F2C7-470B-4959-A97A-6B824105974C.thumb.jpeg.e8b559f1efddbde63f8038a8eb9d3238.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Looking great Kris! Injury and technical problems still can't keep you from doing top quality prep work! Not sure if you're incredibly determined or just stubborn like me :default_rofl: Either way I'm glad to see it! :)

35 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

Looking great Kris! Injury and technical problems still can't keep you from doing top quality prep work! Not sure if you're incredibly determined or just stubborn like me :default_rofl: Either way I'm glad to see it! :)

Thanks. I’m stubborn. Plus, I love to prep fossils.

• I found this Informative 2

That preservation is superb

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Plugged away a bit more this afternoon. This little guy is taking forever, but that’s the only way to preserve the detail. I think I’ll finish it up tomorrow.8E6B0499-8936-4F75-8E9A-34D0B49A8BB3.thumb.jpeg.4170367a701dded6c46e164e27c21f81.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4