Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

7 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Awesome job Kris, that's stunning. I was wondering if you were going to prep that partial Cockerellites/Priscacara, glad you did. Any way to tell the difference with this one?

The Mioplosus also looks to be buried quite deep. Does that make it harder/take longer?

7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Very nice. Is that a Cockerellites swimming down below?

There’s no way to be 100% certain on the partial fish since all the diagnostic features are missing but I would assume Cockerelites.

The Mio was very deep in the rock. This adds more time to the prep due to the excess material that has to be scribed off. Also, fish that are deep can’t be prepped straight down as the edges of the matrix cast shadows on the fish. The edges have to get beveled and the deeper the fish, the more beveling is required to eliminate shadows. The beveling alone took me two hours on this specimen.

• I found this Informative 4

(post left blank becuase i can’t find word to adequetly express my admiration of this speciman and the prep job. LOL!)

• Thank You 1

12 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Awesome fish! You did a portentous job on the prep! 

Thanks, I hope. Portentous is both an insult and a complement depending on context clues. :default_rofl: 

• Enjoyed 1

19 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Awesome fish! You did a portentous job on the prep! 

A word ive never heard before so had to look it up.  Good word!

RB

• Enjoyed 1

• 1 month later...

I wrapped up a tough prep on this Phareodus today. It came from the mini-fish layer of the GRF. It has some fin issues but that’s pretty typical for larger fish from this layer.

8FE210F0-D12A-43D4-9B6E-FAFD3E353CEE.thumb.jpeg.7c687b94c79a2230bfbd88fe47987ff9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 7

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I wrapped up a tough prep on this Phareodus today. It came from the mini-fish layer of the GRF. It has some fin issues but that’s pretty typical for larger fish from this layer.

8FE210F0-D12A-43D4-9B6E-FAFD3E353CEE.thumb.jpeg.7c687b94c79a2230bfbd88fe47987ff9.jpeg

I dunno... might be a bit small. May have to throw it back. :s_confused:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

2 hours ago, daves64 said:

I dunno... might be a bit small. May have to throw it back. :s_confused:

Trust me, I thought that a few times during the prep!

56 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Looks very good!

You did a flabbergasting job on that fish!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

-@fossilhunter21

Thanks. I’ll have more interesting stuff to post soon. Cool stuff is coming into the Global Paleo Services lab from Tucson. :ninja:

I was just thinking the other day that I hadn’t seen any new fish on this thread. I was coming to ask if you had any updates and saw you posted this beauty. Nicely done, glad you stuck with it. :dinothumb:

7 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I was just thinking the other day that I hadn’t seen any new fish on this thread. I was coming to ask if you had any updates and saw you posted this beauty. Nicely done, glad you stuck with it. :dinothumb:

Thanks. I’ve been off fish for a bit, working on some other client fossils and prepping a few crabs for my local rock shop. I’ll have some good material to post here coming up soon. Lots to prep after Tucson.

6 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Amazing fish just like the text books have . One day I will have get one off you. :envy:

Thanks. I dug one out of the corner of the lab this afternoon that might wind up in your mailbox (if it’s good enough to justify the shipping costs for a large piece). Only time will tell. :fingerscrossed: It’s a double with a Knightia and a medium sized Diplo or Mio.

• Enjoyed 1

11 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

it’s good enough to justify the shipping costs for a large piece

Oh I have never been that good. Maybe in the future we do a deal or something. Keep prepping them bad boys and I keep :notworthy:

Edited by Bobby Rico

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Oh I have never been that good. Maybe in the future we do a deal or something. Keep prepping them bad boys and I keep :notworthy:

you're good enough. The question is whether or not the fish will be good enough. :P

I love watching this thread! You do AWESOME work sir. I've not collected fish but your work could change that someday! Great to see what they should look like versus what we usually see in shops.

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

you're good enough. The question is whether or not the fish will be good enough. :P

If it comes from you work shop it will look as good as it could possibly could.  B)

• Thank You 1

59 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

I love watching this thread! You do AWESOME work sir. I've not collected fish but your work could change that someday! Great to see what they should look like versus what we usually see in shops.

Thanks. I thought my prep wasn't up to snuff originally until I started looking at the fish that most of the shops are putting out. Then, I felt pretty good about what I'm doing. It's not that most of the preppers for commercial ventures can't prep as well, it's simply that they don't have the time. Squeezing out every possible detail on a specimen requires a much slower pace and ultimately a much higher cost of prep. Most buyers don't know the difference and will tend towards the cheaper specimen if given the option.

Here’s a pic of my current prep project. It’s  from the Sandwich Beds (aka split fish layer). It’s a slow prep as the bone is really brittle. This means that I’m stopping to stabilize with Paraloid every minute or so. I have the bit of the rostrum that is cut off as well.

07C21223-B4AE-4644-9BAF-133232CEFD7D.thumb.jpeg.afc2dd76f240e27c85216cec292ae6ff.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3