Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

It is an interesting composition with the both fish. I just read this thread from page one and I also think it was a good call not to sacrifice the little fish because for me it makes it a more enjoyable piece to imagine the waterier drama that unfolded.  That bug is cool too.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks. This one is a keeper for sure. 

And get a load of that freakin beautiful tail!!!  For me the diplo's have the most prettiest tails of all the fishes in the GRF!!! 

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

And get a load of that freakin beautiful tail!!!  For me the diplo's have the most prettiest tails of all the fishes in the GRF!!! 

RB

Yah, they are nice and this one turned out really well. I spent around 6 hours on the tail alone.

11 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Man, Kris! Is that ever lookin good!

Thanks Roger. This is one of the nicer fish I’ve worked on and I have one to prep that might be even better.

15 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

Like a mermaids tail.  I agree.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Looks fantastic and are going make a stand or a mount to display it. Or a catering or over sized sardine tin:D

34 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Looks fantastic and are going make a stand or a mount to display it. Or a catering or over sized sardine tin:D

:default_rofl: I'll probably make a wall mount of some kind for it. I have a piece of bokote that should finish up really nice and I think I have enough for a shallow shadow box type frame for it. Or, next time I go hunting, I'll lob off a long section of mesquite and mill it down to make a frame. That might be more work than I want to put into it though. Maybe I'll make a live edge frame for it... :zzzzscratchchin:

I wonder if there's anything under the fish.. :zzzzscratchchin:

I know.. don't get you thinking about that, right? :DOH:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

14 hours ago, daves64 said:

I wonder if there's anything under the fish.. :zzzzscratchchin:

I know.. don't get you thinking about that, right? :DOH:

Seeing as nothing obvious showed up while I was prepping the perimeter of the fish, I’m going to assume whatever is there would prefer to remain hidden. :P

I have had this thought more times than you could imagine though.

I wrapped up the double fish prep today. :yay-smiley-1:

I’m estimating it took around 20 hours but I didn’t keep track. I’m very happy with how it turned out. Plus, I got a little plant fragment as an added bonus.429CE21D-F469-4A4D-9A00-A923BCAE3B7D.thumb.jpeg.09c512333d3330a26ca5dbb0c86c21af.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5
  • Thank You 1

And moving on to the next fish... This is another double that is going to be a nice prep. The Diplo is 17”-18” long and there’s a soft micro layer on top of the fish so the fins should prep superbly. The Knightia is around 5”. I think the Diplo has some face issues but can’t say for certain yet. Here’s the starting pic.

29695111-BBA5-4935-9CC5-F170E16E8439.thumb.jpeg.24eec4d7e6b03ff19038e9110d744378.jpeg 

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Your turning into a fish prepping fool!!!   Keep up the good work my friend. 

RB

Hey, at least the implication is that I wasn’t a fool before! :P That’s a status upgrade in my book.

I’m getting where I don’t want to even look at another GRF fish! But, they won’t prep themselves will they?

Nice work on that last one, Kris. 

I've been enjoying this thread. 

Thanks for keeping it going. 

Looking forward to the next ones. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

19 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice work on that last one, Kris. 

I've been enjoying this thread. 

Thanks for keeping it going. 

Looking forward to the next ones. :) 

Thanks Tim. The current one is oriented such that it looks like the big Diplo is coming after the Knightia. Unfortunately, the Knightia is oriented upside down to the Diplo. Maybe he was sleeping. :P

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Unfortunately, the Knightia is oriented upside down to the Diplo. Maybe he was sleeping. :P

Maybe it's from Australia... Or..... the Knightia is actually right side up & the Dilpo is upside down..  :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

15 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Maybe it's from Australia... Or..... the Knightia is actually right side up & the Dilpo is upside down..  :D

Maybe you’re a trouble maker. :P I like the Australian possibly.