Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

6 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

Superb! That fish looks to be just about perfect (to my eyes at least). :thumbsu: 

It is an A. Some of the skull peeled off when we split the rock in the quarry. If it wasn’t for that, it would be a A++. I’m really happy with the fun preservation.

• I found this Informative 1

The detail on that fish is excellent

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

51 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It is an A. Some of the skull peeled off when we split the rock in the quarry. If it wasn’t for that, it would be a A++. I’m really happy with the fun preservation.

Well they say you can't have everything. Certainly a beautiful fish!

I’m astounded by the preservation of this one! It looks like it could swim off the slab!
amazing job!

Wow that fish is amazing. Great prep job

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

The end result is beautiful, and I especially enjoy the glimpses into your prep process. Always informative. Thanks.

:tff:

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I'm always amazed by the little details at the ends of the fins! What level of magnification do you use to prep such minuscule details? 

Thanks all for the kudos. This fish really did cooperate.

@Huntonia all of my abrasive work is done at 10x magnification. Pressure used on this one was 12-15 psi depending on the area of work. Most was done at 12psi but some tougher areas needed a bit more oomph.

7 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

@Huntonia all of my abrasive work is done at 10x magnification. Pressure used on this one was 12-15 psi depending on the area of work. Most was done at 12psi but some tougher areas needed a bit more oomph

Thanks Kris, a microscope is next on my list of things to purchase myself. :thumbsu:

• 1 month later...

I’ve been off prepping for a while. First, work got in the way, then some knife builds, work again, then a knife build which sent me to the urgent care for stitches. The stitches are out and I’m back on the prep wagon. Tonight, I finished up a nice Knightia I started last month.87364043-CF8A-409E-82EB-685AC89A2FD1.thumb.jpeg.fa2535e3738b3c0e8cb85b9776e1c7f2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

8 hours ago, Randyw said:

Glad to hear you’re better! Your fish looks pretty good too!

Thanks. I actually couldn’t wait long enough ti get back to the doctor to remove the stitches so I pulled them myself yesterday. :shakehead:

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Some very nice preservation in that little fish. 

RB

It’s pretty nice for sure. I could go for a Phareodus or Mioplosus with this preservation. :P

12 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

a knife build which sent me to the urgent care for stitches. 

Aren't there easier way's to test the blade? Or at least less painful & expensive? And the fish looks good, by the way. :thumbsu:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

29 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Aren't there easier way's to test the blade? Or at least less painful & expensive? And the fish looks good, by the way. :thumbsu:

Thanks. Yes and yes to your questions. :P I hadn’t even gotten it to the point that I thought it was sharp enough to cut but it bit me good.

As long as you didn't cut off anything important, that's all that really matters. And scars show that you actually lived & didn't just sit at a desk or table collecting dust. :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I could go for a Phareodus or Mioplosus with this preservation. 

Couldn't we all.  :)

RB

18 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks. I actually couldn’t wait long enough ti get back to the doctor to remove the stitches so I pulled them myself yesterday. :shakehead:

Hi,

I hope it isn't MY knife which cut you !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

6 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

I hope it isn't MY knife which cut you !

Coco

No, yours was already in the post when I got cut. It was actually one I was making for myself. :duh2: