Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

39 minutes ago, RJB said:

Me thinks if one can find a fish with no fin issues, then one is doing purty dang good.  :)  

RB

And lucky! At least unreasonably high standards keep my study from being overrun with fish slabs. :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 1

On 12/27/2020 at 6:31 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

And lucky! At least unreasonably high standards keep my study from being overrun with fish slabs. :heartylaugh:

It's always good to have standards. I have standards, just not perfect ones :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

It's always good to have standards. I have standards, just not perfect ones :rolleyes:

One becomes quickly jaded with a nearly limitless supply of fish to prep. :D I’m a lucky cuss when it comes to that.

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

One becomes quickly jaded with a nearly limitless supply of fish to prep. :D I’m a lucky cuss when it comes to that.

Yes, I can imagine having "too many" fish could make you more picky lol. That is definitely NOT a problem I'm remotely close to having (considering I have 0 complete and only a few partials)

My wife does say I'm a photo snob though lol. Have over 40,000!

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s a great example of extremely decomposed. :duh2: Still a cool piece with a partial Diplo and a Cockrellites.999EFBD1-5D94-4245-9FD6-CB4C8F5A6D3F.thumb.jpeg.1d42d1ca3511bb7d149b984f7c6e2ac2.jpeg

On the other end of the spectrum, this Knightia is as close to perfect as possible.

9A1710B6-4F9C-47FC-8E5C-289CA3B07B21.thumb.jpeg.c8b55985de7cff586dba49d088916b5c.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

That would of been one massive Diplo! The knightia looks fantastic its a shame its not a larger rarer fish but probably still the best knightia I've seen it doesn't have one thing wrong with it.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Look at the ground! You could probably make your own slice of the green river formation in Texas with all that rock!

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

All very nice, but when are you going to prep a Ptychodus tooth?:zzzzscratchchin: It IS a fish, (and your username.):default_rofl:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

14 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Look at the ground! You could probably make your own slice of the green river formation in Texas with all that rock!

The detritus of prep work does tend to pile up. :D You should see all the rock behind my lab. :default_faint:

11 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

All very nice, but when are you going to prep a Ptychodus tooth?:zzzzscratchchin: It IS a fish, (and your username.):default_rofl:

That would require me having time to prep fossils for myself! That’s a rare occasion these days it seems. :P

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I wrapped up a really rotten Mioplosus today that I’ve been working on intermittently for the last year or so.

I'd be glad if the priscacara I'm currently prepping turned out like this, mine appears as if its head is missing

4 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I'd be glad if the priscacara I'm currently prepping turned out like this, mine appears as if its head is missing

I’ve thrown quite a few fish on to the discard pile in disgust after spending several hours only to find some major parts missing. :duh2:

If this one had been any worse, I wouldn’t have bothered finishing it.

It still looks better then that cockerelites I just finished! LOL!

seriously though I think that’s a nice looking fish and great prepping job like always!

• Thank You 1

On 3/4/2021 at 6:43 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

I wrapped up a really rotten Mioplosus today that I’ve been working on intermittently for the last year or so.

Maybe not the best myo but if nothing else, everything is there and in the right place. 

RB

I started working on this slab a few days ago. It has a really nice Diplo and an almost great Knightia (a few bits of tail and belly are broken off). The coolest thing about this slab is the orientation/location of the fish. The are very close together and dorsally correct! If they both prep up well, it will make a cool display. :fingerscrossed:

574AA336-D315-4AE1-847C-EF6A43234517.thumb.jpeg.429f12e54ef48f689a298afb4c836f5f.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

Hope it works :d_good_luck:

It looks like it could be an impressive display piece! Can’t wait to see how it comes out! :popcorn:

The Diplomystus and Knightia slab is finished with a resounding “meh”. The Knightia is very well preserved but missing the ventral caudal fin ray and the Diplomystus is a bit rotten with mediocre fin preservation. Moving on to the next slab...

C579D85C-2B0B-4F3E-BD43-545A4A0FB865.thumb.jpeg.c2cf527558cec2a3e5edf96cb4689f8f.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

Good ole mother nature.   They cant all be perfect.   Its the 'not so good' ones that make those really nice ones seem even nicer.   Good luck on the next slab.

RB

• I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Good ole mother nature.   They cant all be perfect.   Its the 'not so good' ones that make those really nice ones seem even nicer.   Good luck on the next slab.

RB

Yep. After prepping around 500 GRF fish in the last 2 years, I'm pretty selective. I have 8 that I have kept. :duh2: I can only imagine how selective you have become after the thousands you have prepped.