Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

I wish I could prep that quickly! :P 

In all seriousness, excellent work by a pro, as usual, Kris. :b_wdremel: Thanks for setting up the time-lapse, too. Observing how it is done provides an incredible wealth of educational value for those just getting into the prep habit, if not also teaching a few of the older dogs a few new tricks. ;) 

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I love time lapse videos of prepping. There is something so soothing about watching a fossil emerge from the rock. If you get a chance, please post more. :)

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

57 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

love time lapse videos of prepping

Me too! Especially when its a pro doing the work!

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

On 11/19/2021 at 3:00 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

The Mioplosus I’m working on is the opposite side of the spectrum on preservation.

Time-lapse Video

Hi Kris. Any chance that you could post this directly to your website? I've no interest in giving Instagram even one of my cookies.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Hi Kris. Any chance that you could post this directly to your website? I've no interest in giving Instagram even one of my cookies.

I’m going to begin referring to you as the Cookie Monster. :default_rofl:

38 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I’m going to begin referring to you as the Cookie Monster. :default_rofl:

At least you aren't calling me Big Bird, otherwise Ted Cruz would be after me :ninja:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 11/20/2021 at 1:48 PM, thelivingdead531 said:

I love time lapse videos of prepping.

I would but it just makes me wonder why mine take so looooonnnngggggg. I'm mean really, he did all that in under 10 minutes? It is impressive to watch a master at work  :notworthy:

8 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

I would but it just makes me wonder why mine take so looooonnnngggggg. I'm mean really, he did all that in under 10 minutes? It is impressive to watch a master at work  :notworthy:

It is very impressive, and I’m sure that yours would be impressive to me also. :) 

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

It is very impressive, and I’m sure that yours would be impressive to me also. :) 

Ahhhhh..... nope :raindance:My video would take about 10 years lol. Some day I do hope to be able to be at least a decent prep guy. Gotta get a decent finer scribe, binocular microscope and a room to do it in before I can really get going. Oh, and learn to use it and my abrasive unit.

Meanwhile I just watch and drool and learn :look:

• Enjoyed 2

11 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

At least you aren't calling me Big Bird, otherwise Ted Cruz would be after me :ninja:

:default_rofl:

1 hour ago, Sjfriend said:

Thanks. It’s a delicate combination of preservation and the right tools. 25 years of prepping helps a little but this fish is playing nice.

Here’s a pic of the current state of the prep. I’m just under 13 hours into it at this point. I estimate an additional 5-6 hours to complete.

F3AE0B5A-18B1-43FC-9A73-B144F6097280.thumb.jpeg.338e08d6af9f6ec37f0b432dbf75044d.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

11 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

LOTS of caffeine.. :b_wdremel:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:40 AM, Kane said:

I wish I could prep that quickly! :P 

In all seriousness, excellent work by a pro, as usual, Kris. :b_wdremel: Thanks for setting up the time-lapse, too. Observing how it is done provides an incredible wealth of educational value for those just getting into the prep habit, if not also teaching a few of the older dogs a few new tricks. ;) 

The most important thing I’ve learned about prepping with abrasives is to constantly move the pen, either in a circular motion or an arc. If you hit a stubborn spot, move away and sweep back over it. Focusing on one place for  too long will “burn” the specimen. With fish, this means a hole all the way through. This is a very undesirable event. Sometimes, if the scales are very thin, it happens no matter what you do.

The second most important is to use the lowest possible pressure that will remove the matrix at a reasonable rate. This minimizes the risk of burning the specimen or blowing bits off.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Here’s another time-lapse VIDEO

Sorry, @Ludwigia I still haven’t gotten these on my website. It’s not easy for a self declared troglodyte to be so steeped in tech!

• Enjoyed 2

On 11/22/2021 at 2:09 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Lots of Topo Chico mineral water. Gotta have a steady hand and a clear head for top notch prepping. :default_rofl:

I for sure would have thought all the caffeine would actually help. Wouldn't even have to turn the scribe on :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 1

Awesome job Kris, that's stunning. I was wondering if you were going to prep that partial Cockerellites/Priscacara, glad you did. Any way to tell the difference with this one?

The Mioplosus also looks to be buried quite deep. Does that make it harder/take longer?

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)