FossilizedShoe

Hey guys, I'm going to be in Charleston here in a bit, just visiting family over the summer, and I would appreciate some help in finding good places in Summerville to hunt the creeks. I've had some success, but I'd like to narrow down my options some before I get out there. I am not asking anyone to surrender their honey holes, but I would like to know which areas of Summerville are topographically favorable for finding fossils. I've noticed that some creeks will be chock full of material, but a near-identical creek half a mile from it will be barren of fossils. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

That's interesting. I would think the entire area would be good. Maybe there's a map that shows the really old creeks. Maybe some one can explain why that is. The only other thing maybe would be some creeks have not worked down deep enough. I don't know.

Make sure you avoid trespassing as I've seen other forum members talking about how that's an issue around there with the fossil hunters.

Well, I know the topology in the area is very uneven, with the layer being closer to the surface in some places than in others. I'm just wondering if anyone would tell me where these areas are.

Long time lurker and but my first post.  I was in Summerville for the first time yesterday, with the wife and kids.  Despite having heard of the area since I was a kid, I'd never been before and did not have any guidance ahead of time. 

I don't know the answer to your question, but this kind of information would be more valuable than the location of a specific honey hole.  My strategy was to visit as many spots as possible and spend 20-30 minutes at each spot.  I mapped out potential creek access points ahead of time.  We spent about 75% of the day scouting around, and maybe 25% searching.  Made a couple lucky finds - kids had fun and we'll definitely be going back.

Steve

It's great to hear you had a good time Steve! I'll be in the area within a week or two, and I've already mapped out some spots. I think your strategy sounds like a good idea, and will definitely be trying that. About how many of your spots would you say you had luck at? Thanks! -Shoe