Unidentified theropod bone

Dylanmacnish

Hello every. 

Im looking at purchasing a new item and wanted some advice before I went ahead. 

It’s from a good seller and said to be an unidentified bone from the hell creek formation. 

What does everyone thing. 

Is it fake? 

What is it? 

Kind regards 

Dylan 

Edited by Dylanmacnish

1 hour ago, fossils-uk said:

no photo?

Sorry about that. 

Here is two of the photos on the ad. 

8ECF0F13-191A-4BFE-98A0-613474FB1DDE.jpeg

FE5B0F59-9CCC-4E0D-9672-E31AE4C14B20.jpeg

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

What size is it but have doubts its from thr HC.

4 inches long.

Sorry but montana is not a specific  enough locality need town or county of orgin.  Montana has jurassic and early to late Cretaceous deposits.  

Ill probably give this one a miss then. Something doesn’t seem right about it. 

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The bone really does not look dinosaurian

Thank you also 

40 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The bone really does not look dinosaurian

Was exact my first thought on it....:SlapHands:

I always get worried when they say  “unidentified” and I can’t find other examples. 

Out of curiosity, any ideas what it might be? 

Does it look Canis to anyone else besides me?

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

5 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Does it look Canis to anyone else besides me?

Yes, like a canine radius!!! 

Are there examples of fossils like this or could it be fake?  I’m not sure how to spot a fake fossil.

16 minutes ago, Dylanmacnish said:

Yes, like a canine radius!!! 

Maybe a canine femur?

13 minutes ago, Dylanmacnish said:

Are there examples of fossils like this or could it be fake?  I’m not sure how to spot a fake fossil.

Sometimes the fossil is real and misidentified, either accidentally or intentionally. Accidentally misidentified specimens can sometimes be something much more rare than what it is said to be, which is good. Intentionally misidentified specimens are usually something very common and presented as something more rare and therefore more valuable. One of the ways to tell if something is what it is claimed to be is to ask yourself if the price is way too low. No one is going to sell you a 4-inch raptor claw for ten dollars.

You can also Google "Hell Creek bone fossils" and compare it to images you find. If it doesn't look anything like them color-wise and texture-wise and average condition of preservation then it's either exceptionally rare and worth many thousands of dollars, or it's fake. As you spend more time collecting and reading the information given on this forum you will become familiar with the little details that will tell you if it's fake or not. Read the material in the "How to spot fakes" topic.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

1 minute ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Sometimes the fossil is real and misidentified, either accidentally or intentionally. Accidentally misidentified specimens can sometimes be something much more rare than what it is said to be, which is good. Intentionally misidentified specimens are usually something very common and presented as something more rare and therefore more valuable. One of the ways to tell if something is what it is claimed to be is to ask yourself if the price is way too low. No one is going to sell you a 4-inch raptor claw for ten dollars.

You can also Google "Hell Creek bone fossils" and compare it to images you find. If it doesn't look anything like them color-wise and texture-wise and average condition of preservation then it's either exceptionally rare and worth many thousands of dollars, or it's fake.

Thank you, great advice! :)

I just found a match, you’re right it is a Femur. 

CC66623B-BA69-4F67-B60E-03C8EC8C0F27.jpeg

Just now, Dylanmacnish said:

Thank you, great advice! :)

I just found a match, you’re right it is a Femur. 

CC66623B-BA69-4F67-B60E-03C8EC8C0F27.jpeg

And that's the way research is done! Congratulations. Now go and compare it to a bear femur. A horse femur. A bison femur. Don't stop there. Pretty soon you'll be really good at identifying femurs. Then you move on to radius and ulna, then scapula and so on. In a couple of years you'll be able to identify any skeleton you see even if you only have a bone or three to work with. It's fun if it's something you're interested in and the learning comes fast -- really fast. You gotta want it. Passion is what separates those who can from those who can't.

Mark.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

And that's the way research is done! Congratulations. Now go and compare it to a bear femur. A horse femur. A bison femur. Don't stop there. Pretty soon you'll be really good at identifying femurs. Then you move on to radius and ulna, then scapula and so on. In a couple of years you'll be able to identify any skeleton you see even if you only have a bone or three to work with. It's fun if it's something you're interested in and the learning comes fast -- really fast. You gotta want it. Passion is what separates those who can from those who can't.

That does sound exciting, i will! :)

It could be a distant relative of the canine family from millions of years ago but i have a feeling someone has used varnish/stain and clay or a putty of some kind on a modern day dog/cat femur. 

It looks too intact and perfect.

:look:

22 hours ago, Dylanmacnish said:

That does sound exciting, i will! :)

It could be a distant relative of the canine family from millions of years ago but i have a feeling someone has used varnish/stain and clay or a putty of some kind on a modern day dog/cat femur. 

It looks too intact and perfect.

It does appear to have a coating of some kind. Are there any valid reasons to coat a bone? Is it properly done or used to disguise the identity. Caution, detective at work!

Mark.

That’s true, he’s not hiding the bones  identity but he claims its from the HC formation.  But it can’t be Mesozoic. And it’s been aged artificially “potentially”. 

It doesn’t make sense. 

It’s funny,  when I first came across it yesterday I thought it was such an amazing find and a great bargain. Goes to show how important research is.