Found this interesting item

Chadc

Hello all. I found this at Englewood beach while my wife was hunting shark teeth.  I tend to look for other strange items.  I put a soda bottle lid in for size reference.   Any thoughts?  Thank you for any help. 

B15F68C3-2536-4A44-9891-7801AA137DAD.jpeg

DAF99023-0CB0-48B6-AFB4-E059D5C8BB75.jpeg

• digit changed the title to Found this interesting item

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting item indeed-I'd have likely picked it up to see what it was as well.

Difficult to tell from photos in the absence of any diagnostic features if this is a bit of weathered fossilized bone or a piece of non-biological stony matrix. I'm probably in the latter camp as the whitish surface texture on one side looks more like a silicified mineral vein than the surface of a bone. The spongy texture does look somewhat like the cancellous internal structure of a larger bone but I'm not convinced. Even if it were to turn out to be bone, it would lack any features to be able to tell what type of animal it came from and what bone it would be.

I'd suggest keeping this in your pile of curiosities. Did your wife turn up any nice shark teeth while beach hunting?

Cheers.

-Ken

We found about 500 teeth over the course of a week.  Found several of the duogong ribs.  Over all it was a pretty good vacation.