Fossil Leaf ID Needed

Paul R.

Thinking this may be a insect chewed on Bursera inaequalate ralis,  any thoughts.  Green River Formation.

green river leaf.jpg

Although it is possible, I'm inclined to say no for lack of definitive evidence. There are many ways it could have come to have this shape other than insects. Some creature just stepping on a dried out leaf could do this. An herbivore could have shredded it this way, etc. I'm not saying it is or isn't, just that a statement alluding to either is nothing more than speculative based on what we can see. The edge of the leaf examined under strong magnification may offer better evidence for or against.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thanks Mark, I agree, I guess i was jumping to conclusion to soon.  I will look under microscope, but from just looking at it, I doubt their will be enough detail, but will look anyway. :-)

Paul

6 hours ago, Paul R. said:

Thanks Mark, I agree, I guess i was jumping to conclusion to soon.  I will look under microscope, but from just looking at it, I doubt their will be enough detail, but will look anyway. :-)

Paul

You can always claim it is -- you and the person who says it isn't will be equally correct! :D

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

9 hours ago, Paul R. said:

Paul

Let us know what you find out! Either way it’s a great looking specimen.