Floridahunter

Found this last weekend while hunting in Horse Creek.  Looks like a claw from? Have not seen anything like it before. Not anything recent, definitely fossil. IMG_6903.thumb.jpg.04bc183d899ff683347dd8813f3e793f.jpgIMG_6904.thumb.jpg.52deae365d2a09a712c08d87949427cb.jpg

Thanks

Edited by Floridahunter
misspell

I am not seeing claw. I am seeing that it is probably a bit of something else that was originally larger.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

It's possible that it is a broken off piece of something else, or an unremarkable chip of a larger item. There are no rough edges when handling, so I may have tried to make it something it is not. 

I do not remember specifically finding this while hunting, but came across it when going thru my stash.

No worries. Still had a good day.......several meg, lots of bull and snaggle, deer, mammoth teeth and tusk fragments, one mostly complete vertebrae.

Thanks for the re-direct!

Is it kind of flat and fairly thin? With that elliptical elongated shape it looks a bit like a garfish scale with the enameloid worn off...Do you have any to compare it to?

If not here's several for comparison..Could be something else as well...

5d21308b61e85_GarfishscalesFlorida.jpg.6cceb453779767853e6b5857c1847ddb.jpg

I find stuff I didnt know I had quite a bit...tend to bring home everything and anyting and its not till later, some times very much later that I realize I even had it...sometimes really good stuff!

Continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris

• I found this Informative 2

Definitely a garfish scale :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I would never have imagined that it is a fish scale. Thanks for the lesson.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Not seen one like that before! At least I can put it in the right pile. Thanks again.