Darktooth

My family and I have been in Maryland since Thursday evening. The past two days have involved alot of walking and intense heat. My calves and feet are sore and I have got a good sunburn. Friday morning we met up with forum member @RCW3D and his daughter. He took us out to a Miocene exposure along the Potomac River. We started our hunt a little before 10am and I think we got finished around 2pm. We all managed to find some goodies. RCW3D'S whale vert and articulated marlin verts definitely were the prize of the day. But I was happy with what I found though nothing as exciting. I found an assortment of sharkteeth, a nice shark vert, a decent size fish vert and misc bone pieces. Devin did pretty good himself scoring a beautifully colored snaggletooth, a drumfish plate ( which he misplaced) a fish jaw minus the teeth, a nice shark vert, and some other goodies. My wife and older son found a few teeth but weren't really hunting.  RCW3D helped my kids out by pointing out where teeth were by drawing a circle around them and sometimes just handing them stuff.

We had a really great time and appreciate the time he spent with us. After we left, we grabbed some lunch and headed over to Mataoka cottages so the boys could swim and I wanted to do a little shell hunt. We stayed a couple hours found a few shells and sharkteeth and went for a late dinner. Today my wife wanted to go into Washinton DC, visit the monuments and a couple museums.  I won't bore you with all the details. Basically a whole lot of walking in scorching heat. Anyways we are headed back home in tomorrow morning. A short trip but it was a good one. Here are some pics.

#1- My finds

20190706_201400.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

#2-Shells from Mataoka

20190706_201636.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

#5- nice colored Hemi

20190706_195752.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

#6- Devin's fish jaw

20190706_195744.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

#7- Devins shark vert. I should mention that he spotted this in a chunk of matrix.

20190706_200418.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

What a great 4th you had congrats!!!

"If you choose not to decide. You still have made a choice." - Rush

#8- my wifes finds.

20190706_201942.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 minute ago, Past Hunter said:

What a great 4th you had congrats!!!

Thank-you!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

My older son is being a bit cranky about me taking pics of his finds so for now here is a vert, RCW3D gifted to him.

20190706_202606.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Just now, ynot said:

Sounds like the best way to spend the fourth!

Nice finds.

Thanks Tony!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I couldn't resist taking a pic of the replica Megalodon at the Museum of Natural History

20190706_134655.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Dave, you're too kind, I didn't gift anything, I just helped by pointing out some stuff and used my scooper on some other stuff so they didn't have to bend over! LOL! Glad to see that the shark vert came out clean! My luck with them in the matrix is not as good. The colors on that hemi are sweet! 

Grace and I had a good time with you and your family! Hopefully will be able to get together in the future!

How was the new exhibit at the Museum of Natural History? As close as I live to DC, I really hate getting inside the beltway but I have been itching to see the new display.

Rob :D

Oh. once again, thanks again for the box full of goodies! My wife and Grace had a blast going through them...I however haven't had the chance since I've been "adulting" today.

Rob :D

7 hours ago, RCW3D said:

Dave, you're too kind, I didn't gift anything, I just helped by pointing out some stuff and used my scooper on some other stuff so they didn't have to bend over! LOL! Glad to see that the shark vert came out clean! My luck with them in the matrix is not as good. The colors on that hemi are sweet! 

Grace and I had a good time with you and your family! Hopefully will be able to get together in the future!

How was the new exhibit at the Museum of Natural History? As close as I live to DC, I really hate getting inside the beltway but I have been itching to see the new display.

I am not sure about which new exhibit you mean? We didnt have time to go through the whole building so we may have missed it. I was also glad Devin's vert did not break. I think it was good for him to find items other than just sharkteeth. He seems to be proud of his finds. I was proud that when he spotted it he knew what it was. Means he is learning well. I am glad your family likes the fossils I gave you. I am sure we could get together for a hunt again in the future. Thanks for showing us a good time at a beautiful site.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Looks like a perfect day, lots of cool finds

Thanks, it was a perfect day! Meeting new friends, who share the same passion, that's a score for sure!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Wow, you had an awesome day! Was this near Westmoreland SP? I grew up not far from there - Kilmarnock. The picture is of a whale vertebrae found very near Westmoreland

255AE79F-9D09-4F22-A12B-F01A9538FC48.jpeg

Very Sorry, I just saw you posted Mataoka cabins - I'd never heard of them, but sounds like a wonderful place!

Nice finds, the colors on that hemi are gorgeous :yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!