Dremel engraver fine tips

connorp

I just wanted to give a product recommendation here. I was looking for a finer tip for my Dremel engraver so I could work on smaller areas without fear of damage. I was recommended this guy (from our favorite auction site) by a fellow member.

5d2188129b5b5_ScreenShot2019-07-07at1_48_17AM.png.f11131986487cac57dab45e98183298f.png

I was a little skeptical at first since it's hand crafted, but I figured hey why not, costs about what I spend on coffee every day. But I must say, this is one of the best purchases I've made. It outperforms the standard tips by several factors. Not only does it allow you to work on tighter areas, but it is very long, which increased the working distance by almost an inch. Also, since the tip is so small, it more easily took advantage of weak points in the matrix. The standard tips mostly pummel the matrix to bits, whereas shale has been sliding off like butter with this new tip. I highly recommend this to the folks on here who can't get a higher end setup. Makes a world of difference.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

I too was frustrated with the standard ( stubby ) provided tip the engraver comes with.  Looking for something more agile, I came across a set of these from China on the auction site for a very reasonable price ( set of six for what I would have to pay for a single tip at the hardware store).  So I took a chance.

One of the best purchases I have made!

I've used them for several years now and am still on the original one in the set. 

Very tough!!  Great for getting into cramped narrow areas around the fossil.

Highly recommend getting some of these if an engraver is all you have to work with.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 hours ago, caldigger said:

I too was frustrated with the standard ( stubby ) provided tip the engraver comes with.  Looking for something more agile, I came across a set of these from China on the auction site for a very reasonable price ( set of six for what I would have to pay for a single tip at the hardware store).  So I took a chance.

One of the best purchases I have made!

I've used them for several years now and am still on the original one in the set. 

Very tough!!  Great for getting into cramped narrow areas around the fossil.

Highly recommend getting some of these if an engraver is all you have to work with.

Are you using a Dremel engraver or a different brand? The Chinese sets I found all looked too small to fit into my Dremel.

It's a Dremel model 290-01

The tips are standard Dremel shank size.

20190707_203626.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I have a couple like that, that I use with one of my pen-vises. Works great.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Mine are for a Record reciprocating electronic engraver rather than a regular rotation Dremel. I had a few tips including chisel tips. It came with a shank that replaced the original shank. 

AFFA530C-1FDF-438E-A602-80CFFA3ED71F.thumb.jpeg.c2121908ea349f402ab970fe0bd64f1a.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I used to get these from China is sets of 20 or so but the source seems to have dried up. Anyone got any further info. of getting these? They are 100 times better than the stock item at removing hard matrix.

Very interesting.  Never heard or seen this.   How long can one work before over heating?  and does anyone have a link to the engraver and the newer better tip?  Ive got a freind who would be interested in this.  Thanks

RB

On 7/27/2019 at 7:26 AM, RJB said:

Very interesting.  Never heard or seen this.   How long can one work before over heating?  and does anyone have a link to the engraver and the newer better tip?  Ive got a freind who would be interested in this.  Thanks

RB

I used to burn up electric engravers like candles on a birthday cake. I think I was getting 20-30 minutes out of them before they would overheat and let the smoke out. You definitely can't pull the 5-6 hour prepping sessions with them but they are very effective if you do light prep and don't have a bottomless budget for tools.

You should probably be taking breaks often anyway not only to have the machine cool down but to stave off the dreaded finger nerve condition that prolonged use of those things can cause.

I am unfortunately a victim of the ailment myself.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

You should probably be taking breaks often anyway not only to have the machine cool down but to stave off the dreaded finger nerve condition that prolonged use of those things can cause.

Good advice! I’ve had better luck with my engraver. I’ve run it up to 3 hours but it gets insanely hot so now I try to use the engraver for a bit then use the picks on areas cleared then engraver again. That also gives me a chance to shift around and helps my back.

2 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Is the auction site the only place to get these tips?

Its where I got mine. I believe I paid something like $4.25 with free shipping for a set of 6, but that was a few years ago. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I haven’t used the auction site in 16 years but I may need to sign back up again and get some. They would have been handy working on nida...

59 minutes ago, caldigger said:

True. Pneumatic scribes are much less intense in this regard. 

Nice to see this topic. I have scribes but had to resort to a dremel engraver recently and could have done with these bits.

The dremel seems to run quite well for extended periods of time without overheating. Like @Ptychodus04 I learned that overuse of engravers burns some brands out easily. I had three engravers I would switch between to allow them to cool down. I even resorted to a frozen bag of peas to cool them down faster :thumbsu:

I notice they don’t make that model any more (Ozito) and have replaced it with something more line the dremel.

Only downside of this dremel is that the low setting is still quite aggressive, with a lot of “tip wobble”. A longer bit would make for more wobble in the tip.

• I found this Informative 3

• 4 months later...

Going to give this a bump. The tip from the initial post just broke, and now I need a new one but the seller no longer offers them. Does anyone know of a source?

On 17/12/2019 at 12:12 AM, connorp said:

Going to give this a bump. The tip from the initial post just broke, and now I need a new one but the seller no longer offers them. Does anyone know of a source?

On 17/12/2019 at 3:16 AM, KCMOfossil said:

I have the same question.

Me too I use a dremel and my tip isn’t able to get into tight spaces 

Do you have access to carbide rod and a bench grinder? If so, you could buy rod that is the same diameter and grind a tip on it. The benefit is as much in the length of the stylus as the fine tip.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:54 AM, connorp said:

I just wanted to give a product recommendation here. I was looking for a finer tip for my Dremel engraver so I could work on smaller areas without fear of damage. I was recommended this guy (from our favorite auction site) by a fellow member.

5d2188129b5b5_ScreenShot2019-07-07at1_48_17AM.png.f11131986487cac57dab45e98183298f.png

I was a little skeptical at first since it's hand crafted, but I figured hey why not, costs about what I spend on coffee every day. But I must say, this is one of the best purchases I've made. It outperforms the standard tips by several factors. Not only does it allow you to work on tighter areas, but it is very long, which increased the working distance by almost an inch. Also, since the tip is so small, it more easily took advantage of weak points in the matrix. The standard tips mostly pummel the matrix to bits, whereas shale has been sliding off like butter with this new tip. I highly recommend this to the folks on here who can't get a higher end setup. Makes a world of difference.

What's the name of this guy ? Does it have a number of reference ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

33 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

What's the name of this guy ? Does it have a number of reference ?

The seller is no longer offering them.  :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

16 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

The seller is no longer offering them.  :( 

Oh, that's a pity, i would gladly have been able to find one to finish the desengaging of my trilos of La Dominelais before to post them on the forum. But the narrowed spaces are still full of matrix.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

8 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Do you have access to carbide rod and a bench grinder? If so, you could buy rod that is the same diameter and grind a tip on it. The benefit is as much in the length of the stylus as the fine tip.

Good idea.  My tips are 1/8" diameter, so I'm looking around at 2" rods.  They are readily available.

Russ