I_know_nothing

42 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I'm ready anytime you are. We eagerly await the challenge. It may be a rock like I've never seen before -- remember, people who don't live where you do don't see the kind of rocks you get to see. What's everyday and boring to you is different and interesting to many others.

I second what Mark said! I found out very quickly, once I joined TFF, that things I take for granted and see everyday have never been seen by others. 

I think it’s our strong curiosity that bonds us together here, not just a simple love of fossils. Fossils just happen to be the main thing we focus our efforts on. We like to see new things and make discoveries, and doing it together with like minded people makes the experience all the better.  

So keep on posting your finds, curious minds want to know!

Patiently waiting... and enjoying some popcorn... :popcorn: 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

9 hours ago, Hope_Mcdonald said:

I have a couple more things I'd like to post to ask about but dont want anyone to say it's aother rock idiot...

If they are interesting to you, it would be our failure if they are not interesting to us :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

11 hours ago, Hope_Mcdonald said:

I have a couple more things I'd like to post to ask about but dont want anyone to say it's aother rock idiot...

If it makes you feel better, I'm new here too and most of what I've asked for help IDing has been just rocks. Everyone is super kind here and after reading through a bunch of posts, I can't imagine anyone here being purposefully rude about someone - especially a newbie - hoping a rock is more than just a rock. Even if something is just a rock, I love rocks! Please show us the rocks!

1 hour ago, KelseyM said:

I can't imagine anyone here being purposefully rude about someone - especially a newbie

Pretty rare, and they get taken to the woodshed pretty quickly ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

58 minutes ago, Auspex said:

Pretty rare, and they get taken to the woodshed pretty quickly ;)

Or, if they are really bad, shown the door....

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I finally had time to sit and read all the comments posted in response. Wow. What an awesome group of people. So much knowledge and so willing to help. I have been too busy to get back here and right now almost too tired to think. First @doushantuo  I believe you. No hard feelings. I may have not had my quota of coffee that morning and been overly sensitive and a little crabby. Cant recall for sure. I am a woman and we sometimes do that. Thank you for setting it straight. @GeschWhat absolutely would love to pick your brain on this subject. So many questions. Thank you for your insight. Very helpful. And careful what you ask for, I have a really big garden with tons of unusual shaped rocks that to my untrained eye look fossil-ish  @RandyW  @JohnJ and @Mark Kmiecik

• I found this Informative 3

Hope, one advantage of an (as yet) untrained eye is that it is also an unbiased eye.

Keep picking up stuff, you may never know.

Some discoveries in paleontology were made serendipitously/fortuitously.

A lot of finds are also due to the work of amateurs.

The Earth has an enormous amount of processes going on (in the past as well as now).

The scale of these processes varies from submillimeter, (so not visible to the naked eye) to continent-scale to global/planetary.

Some of these processes run concurrently (/simultaneously), some sequentially (one after the other).

These processes can have a profound influence on which (and how) materials are preserved (including fossils), and some have a small(marginal) influence.

To understand all of that is difficult, to say the least.

Learning the ropes (finding the answers to questions like :what can I post/how should that post look/Am I allowed to say that/will this make me look kind of silly? ,etc) is not

overly difficult on this forum.

it's more like: Just holler,and someone might (i hesitate to say "will") be able to help you.

Ben

and: Thx, Btw, you've taken a load of my mind.:dinothumb:

edit: spelling corrections

13 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Hope,one advantage of an (as yet) untrained eye is that it is also an unbiased eye.

The unbiased eye sees the most. Those with bias are blind to what is beyond their beliefs.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 08/07/2019 at 3:34 PM, digit said:

Yup. Thanks, Lori!

She's got the scoop on poop. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

On 08/07/2019 at 3:35 PM, caldigger said:

Why Lori, I'm surprised at you for not suggesting a good healthy lick test! :default_rofl:

9 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Hehe...that is because if it is the type of concretion I think it is, they taste terrible!

Did you do that test with them ? Do they have the taste of iron ?:sick:

On 10/07/2019 at 2:02 AM, Hope_Mcdonald said:

Thank you @ClearLake and @Sberebit both very much. I guess I should have followed the guidelines when I posted a little closer. If I had it might have made this go smoother. Everyone has been helpful though to the new special needs kid (not meant to poke fun at anyone but myself) on the block.  I have a couple more things I'd like to post to ask about but dont want anyone to say it's aother rock idiot...

That's not a rock idiot, you don't know, so you ask. That's the normal way to do. We're numerous here to have post a rock thinking it was a fossil.:headscratch:

Don't worry about Doushantuo, he's a kind person.

I welcome your unbiased eyes from France, keep looking and post us your finds.

On 12/07/2019 at 8:52 AM, doushantuo said:

Hope,one advantage of an (as yet) untrained eye is that it is also an unbiased eye.

Keep picking up stuff,you may never know.

Some discoveries in paleontology were made serendipitously/fortuitously.

A lot of finds are also due to the work of amateurs.

The Earth has an enormous amount of processes going on(in the past as well as know).

The scale of these processes varies from submillimeter(so not visible to the naked eye)to continent-scale to global/planetary.

Some of these processes run concurrently(/simultaneously),some sequentially(one after the other).

These processes can have a profound influence on which (and how)materials are preserved(including fossils),and some have a small(marginal) influence.

To understand all of that is difficult,to say the least.

Learning the ropes(finding the answers to questions like :what can I post/how should that post look/Am I allowed to say that/will this make me look kind of silly? ,etc) is not

overly difficult on this forum.

it's more like: Just holler,and somone might(i hesitate to say "will") be able to help you

Ben

and: Thx,Btw,you've taken a load of my mind:dinothumb:

edit:spelling corrections

Yes, like that little 7 years old Diego Suarez who found bones of a new species of Dinosaur.

You reassure me, i was afraid because you seemed to begin to be romantic.:P

Here are my coprolites from Mazon Creek.

8qsqYsewZvZiH40-I05vgJlm3f2ZfvhwBu6t0qwQIAsAJ2ot6VSMpUhnuZBzf-xMs6uMxXN9vqYh1UuFc-k6kpSLfZrYLxyK_xhSkJqusFuIQTH_8qNO6tEofmbwbDhbcRvlYEZnBW_BikbkqQ

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I must say that I absolutely love this group of people. It's incredible how many people are so quick to offer help. I've visited similar sites and none were as welcome to amatures as this one. Thank you all for your patience and insight.

Thanks! We strive to keep this a welcoming spot on the internet. Social media sites and some other forums seem to thrive on negativity and we'll have none of that here. We believe in civil discourse and the spread of knowledge to new members. The forum has been around long enough and has such a vast archive of content that it appears near the top of many searches seeking answers to questions about fossils. For that reason (and many others) we try to provide sound answers to some of the most common questions like, "Is this rock I've found a fossil?" We expect that some will find their answer by viewing similar posts that were answered in the past. We are also visited very regularly by school kids (we can tell from the .edu or .k12 domain names in our activity logs for the website). Because of this we keep the conversations family friendly and have no tolerance for foul or abusive language.

Now that you have found a place to get your questions answered and to learn more about fossils, we hope your curiosity about these clues from the past will not be quickly sated and that you'll be organizing some fossil hunting trips to find your first fossils and start building a collection. We'll expect photos and a trip report when you do. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3