Kane

Two Ordovician Spots in Ontario

JohnJ

Well done, sir Kane! :)

Al Tahan

Awesome Kane!! I’m still looking for Ordovician exposures in New York that are legal and accessible. 

That isotelus :envy:

Pagurus

WELL-DONE-50.gif.42e10da63d00970fee02bf57d69b4117.gif

Kane

Thanks! There's something exciting and satisfying about sourcing your own site rather than rely on long established ones (I know Al has been doing a lot of that lately, and he also faces many of the same obstacles we do up here in Ontario). 

erose

Being a big fan of the Upper Ordovician Cincinnatian fauna I really enjoy seeing fossils from these other Ordovician stratas.

Ludwigia

Keep up the good work, Kane. Even better results shall be forthcoming, right?

Jeffrey P

Your report Kane reminds me that very likely the best fossil collectors are those, like yourself, who are out there today. Over the years I've been bombarded with stories of the good old days when fossil collecting was relatively easy.  You and others who work hard for their fossils and who make wonderful and rare finds are what's keeping this hobby/science going. Big congratulations on an excellent report and finds. Love to see more. 

Uncle Siphuncle

To the motivated go the spoils!

Kane
16 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Keep up the good work, Kane. Even better results shall be forthcoming, right?

I hope so, but only the rocks, time, and opportunity will say! I hope to get out there again this summer, although it is a very long drive to get there. Maybe next year I'll give you the tour. :) 

15 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Your report Kane reminds me that very likely the best fossil collectors are those, like yourself, who are out there today. Over the years I've been bombarded with stories of the good old days when fossil collecting was relatively easy.  You and others who work hard for their fossils and who make wonderful and rare finds are what's keeping this hobby/science going. Big congratulations on an excellent report and finds. Love to see more. 

Thanks, Jeffrey. :) With ever more sites vanishing, some people have packed it in. I admit being pretty bummed out about a few major site losses in the last two years, but I had a clear choice of complaining and resigning myself to not collect, or be stubborn and seek new opportunities even if nine out of ten spots turns out to be a bust. And rarely does complaining ever change one's circumstances. Harder work can really pay off... and, as Uncle Siphuncle says above, "to the motivated go the spoils!" :D 

Fossildude19

Awesome report and finds, K-man.  :) 

Congratulations on a more than decent haul. 

Cheers, mate. 

Ludwigia
4 hours ago, Kane said:

I hope to get out there again this summer, although it is a very long drive to get there.

I recommend you not speed down highway 10 on the way back though :P

Kane
5 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I recommend you not speed down highway 10 on the way back though :P

Oh, you mean the Ontario Autobahn? :D

FranzBernhard
4 hours ago, Kane said:

but I had a clear choice of complaining and resigning myself to not collect, or be stubborn and seek new opportunities even if nine out of ten spots turns out to be a bust. And rarely does complaining ever change one's circumstances. Harder work can really pay off... and, as Uncle Siphuncle says above, "to the motivated go the spoils!"

True, true, true!!! :D (I know, I know, I am repeating myself, but self-prospecting and self-discovering new sites is above everything :)).

I don´t know the extension of fossiliferous strata in southern Ontario, but in New York state they are extensive, covering at least the area of my country (> 86.000 km2). @Al Tahan (for New York) and @Kane (for Ontario), would you be able to make a guess how many fossil sites are documented in your area, how many are "forgotten" and how many are still to be discovered (natural outcrops). Soooo many nice creeks everywhere...

Just for comparison: The Devonian Plabutsch-formation around me covers an area of far less than 100 km2 and about 100 fossils sites were documented about 100 years ago. Some new sites where discovered since than, but the count of somewhat productive sites - where you can pick up fossils regularly - would be around 20-40.

Interestingly, nearly the same density of fossil sites in the Miocene Florianer Schichten in western Styria. The fossil-rich part of the formation covers about 30 km2, with about 20 productive sites I know of.

And the funny thing: Nearly the same situation in the Campanian St. Bartholomä-formation in western Styria: 3 km2, and 2 productive sites!

Franz Bernhard

Ludwigia
2 hours ago, Kane said:

Oh, you mean the Ontario Autobahn? :D

You got it!

Monica

Great work, Kane!!!  I love those high-spired gastropods and the nautiloids (of course!).  Best of luck on future trips to your new site!