Chinese fossil fish nodules

RJB

Went to my property the other day to pick up our camping trailer and couldn't help but go through a couple more boxes in my fossil shed.  Found these in a tote with a bunch of Scotia Bluff material. Not sure why they were in that box but made for a nice surprize.  Here's the thing, I can not remember the name of these fish, the formation or the age.  Nothin. All I know is that I got them from a chinese dealer long ago in Tucson.   Any help is appreciated.  thank you   and I got more in the garage.   

RB

DSCN0148.JPG

@RJB

I can't believe a fossil guy as experienced as you fell for that scam. There are no fish there, just oblong rocks! :default_rofl:

I see fish nodules from China IDed on the auction site as Lepidotes jurongenses.

But more importantly, I found this old Forum topic with your response from 9 years ago. Perhaps this was the origin of your pieces and it will jog your memory. Good luck.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

RJB,the origin and taphonomy of Jurong nodules have recently(2019) been investigated.

Do you see pyrite framboids?

5 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

I see fish nodules from China IDed on the auction site as Lepidotes jurongenses.

This sounds familiar.  Thank you snolly.

2 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

I have never heard of or know what pyrite 'Framboids' are? 

RB

3 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

small black flecks of pyrite,with a sort of boisenberry -like shape

dont mean to sound stupid but I dont see anything like that?  Not sure.  got a photo maybe of what they look like or size?   Thanks

RB

43 minutes ago, RJB said:

Went to my property the other day to pick up our camping trailer and couldn't help but go through a couple more boxes in my fossil shed.  Found these in a tote with a bunch of Scotia Bluff material. Not sure why they were in that box but made for a nice surprize.  Here's the thing, I can not remember the name of these fish, the formation or the age.  Nothin. All I know is that I got them from a chinese dealer long ago in Tucson.   Any help is appreciated.  thank you   and I got more in the garage.   

RB

DSCN0148.JPG

Well without knowing all of that they are worthless I guess so just send them to randyw’s house of unloved fossils and I’ll make sure they’re disposed of properly for you...:heartylaugh: j/k! :default_rofl:

15 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Well without knowing all of that they are worthless I guess so just send them to randyw’s house of unloved fossils and I’ll make sure they’re disposed of properly for you...:heartylaugh:

One funny guy you are my freind,  but there are lots of funny guys in the world.  Me being one of them?  maybe?   Your fossils are on the way.  :default_rofl:

Have to do a bit of research first.

RB

35 minutes ago, RJB said:

I have never heard of or know what pyrite 'Framboids' are? 

RB

I just Googled them -- interesting.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

24 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I just Googled them -- interesting.

I just googled them too,,,, now im confused. 

RB

Just now, RJB said:

I just googled them too,,,, now im confused. 

RB

Sometimes learning is fun, sometimes it hurts your brain. I took two aspirin, so I'm good for now. Sometimes I feel that if I learn about just one more thing that I've never heard of in my 68 years but should have, my head will just explode for lack of storage space. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

10 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Sometimes learning is fun, sometimes it hurts your brain. I took two aspirin, so I'm good for now. Sometimes I feel that if I learn about just one more thing that I've never heard of in my 68 years but should have, my head will just explode for lack of storage space. 

Funny.   Glad your ok though.  for me its just too many drinks.  Time for dinner.  Salad, home grown spinach, leaf lettuce with some iceburg, bacon, egg, bean sprouts and some butter cookies.  yall have a good night.

RB

*like the home grown spinach bit,RB*

the rest doesn't sound bad ,either

2 hours ago, doushantuo said:

RJB,the origin and taphonomy of Jurong nodules have recently(2019) been investigated.

Qiu, X., Xu, Y., Chen, Z.Q., Benton, M.J., Wen, W., Huang,

Y. and Wu, S., 2019. The Early Triassic Jurong fish fauna, 

South China: Age, anatomy, taphonomy, and global 

correlation. Global and Planetary Change, 180, pp.33-50.

Abstract

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921818118307197

PDF file

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333499936_The_Early_Triassic_Jurong_fish_fauna_South_China_Age_anatomy_taphonomy_and_global_correlation (with figures)

http://palaeo.gly.bris.ac.uk/Benton/reprints/2019Jurong.pdf (without figures)

Tong, J., Zhou, X., Erwin, D.H., Zuo, J. and Zhao, L., 2006.

Fossil fishes from the Lower Triassic of Majiashan, Chaohu,

Anhui Province, China. Journal of Paleontology, 80(1), 

pp.146-161.

Abstract

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-paleontology/article/fossil-fishes-from-the-lower-triassic-of-majiashan-chaohu-anhui-province-china/8E282ED27BC8D286799C4A13D3DBE934

PDF file

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232664688_Fossil_fishes_from_the_Lower_Triassic_of_Majiashan_Chaohu_Anhui_Province_China

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Douglas_Erwin/

Yours:

Paul H.