I found this near the 476 turnpike where they tore up all the ground and exposed the New Brunswick Formation. This formation is triassic. I went to a dump site where the construction company took all the rock. Is this possibly some sort of trace fossil from a lizard or sphenodontid? 

(If you neer to see it better flip your phone or device upside down)

20190707_162958.jpg

If its a track its gonna be a pain in the to determine the species. Maybe a Gwyneddichnium track?

I would say possibly a track. Would be easier to say yes if two or more were present. There are many things that can make that kind of impression. I would be all over that dump pile looking for more. Tracks are seldom singular entities. They travel in groups. :D

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

13 hours ago, autismoford said:

Mark finding tracks are very difficult for me. Its overwhelming.

20190707_151317.jpg

Yeah, that's more than I anticipated, but if I was you I'd give it a couple of tries at least. A proven track specimen that is not of marine origin is worth having.

Mark.

I agree. I'll be returning another Sunday when the construction workers are off. 

Doushantuo yes. I searched here twice already. Only one time I found a trace fossil. The other time I found a rippled water fossil. Really close to this site over the bridge is an outcrop of this formation it's about 40 feet high all exposed. I didnt go because to get their I need to cut across the cranes and its risky because of getting caught. No trespassing signs tho :megdance:

Auty, try to make sure that what you are doing there is:

A) Perfectly legal.

B) Totally non harzardous/perilous.

1 minute ago, autismoford said:

Doushantuo yes. I searched here twice already. Only one time I found a trace fossil. The other time I found a rippled water fossil. Really close to this site over the bridge is an outcrop of this formation it's about 40 feet high all exposed. I didnt go because to get their I need to cut across the cranes and its risky because of getting caught. No trespassing signs tho :megdance:

The water rippling is also a trace fossil, and therefore supports to a minor degree that trace fossils are common in that member and any additional trace fossil finds would also support the supposition that this specimen may indeed be a track.

Mark.

Yeah but in my eyes it's totally fine. They just use all this triassic rock for development homes they are building... destroying all of the possible fossils in the process. If I can sneak in and grab some before they are annihilated then I see my self saving all these specimens.

4 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Auty,try to make sure that what you are doing there is

A)perfectly legal

B)totally non harzardous/perilous

And see if you can get the construction outfit crew to help you look. Sometimes a feeling of participation in a search like this can get things really rolling. Tell them what you think you found and perhaps they will help you search. I would ask the boss for permission.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

11 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

The water rippling is also a trace fossil,

UhAh :shakehead:

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

UhAh :shakehead:

Yeah, ok, technically. But you know what I'm getting at.

EDIT: Actually, there were bacteria in the water, so it really is a trace fossil made by those bacteria that made contact with the sediment.

Mark.

35 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Yeah, ok, technically. But you know what I'm getting at.

EDIT: Actually, there were bacteria in the water, so it really is a trace fossil made by those bacteria that made contact with the sediment.

Mark, we do not want to see you hurt from the collapse of the hole that you are digging. Water ripples are not trace fossils since water is not alive. :) Theoretically you could have a bacterial mat that is shaped like ripples. In that case the mat would be the fossil.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

4 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Had the shovel out too. :)

I had two shovels out. One to dig, one to fill. :default_rofl:

Mark.

While asking permission, see if they'll mind you using their heavy equipment to move stuff around.  ;)

Have you thought about removing another layer or 2 on the left side to see if there’s any more prints under there?

0DA904B9-267D-4644-90CD-2FB7D8F5A7A2.jpeg