Pleistocene Material Or What Might It Be?

Nick Yiu

Here's this solidly heavy material with large bulky and irregularly shaped protrusions. My suspesion is that it might be a Coral or maybe but unlikely a Sponge from that epoch as textures of broken portion implies.

If there's a photo of simmilar material like this from among fellow fossil enthusiasist, please share and help ID my specimen.

Thanks All and have a nice day.

Nickpost-2295-12560998760945_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12560999401_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12560999985007_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12561000359078_thumb.jpg

An interesting shape. I can see what appears to be a pattern on it. It looks very water worn. Possibly a fossil, but I haven't found anything yet to compare it to.

An interesting shape. I can see what appears to be a pattern on it. It looks very water worn. Possibly a fossil, but I haven't found anything yet to compare it to.

Mike,

I'm hard describing the object, but for sure the exposed interior feels simmilar to modern day Coral. Other thing; 1) There's no sign of branching, 2) There's cratering on top of each protruding arms(?). 3) Surface texture is a bit coarse and yellowish in color..., Maybe unusual to for a Coral.

Thanks for taking time. Best wishes,

This looks lie a fossil coral. Color and weight are irrelevant as fossils often take their color from the material that replaces the origional organic structure-as too the weight depends upon the same thing. Those "protiusions" as you call them, are branches.

This is Bizzare, but if you look at the variety of modern corals it is not out of the question. In Florida we often find coral that has fossilised disolved and then refossilised so that the origional shape is altered. I have included two pictures of the same species (a rose coral) to illustrate this.

The fossil - very close to it's living form...

post-1313-12565768120177_thumb.jpg

..This is after the fossilised material was disolved and the coral was re-fossilised only this time with calcite crystals.

post-1313-12565768378394_thumb.jpg

This is a coral from Tampa bay that has been rplaced with agate so that little of the origional structure remains.

post-1313-12565767119742_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

This looks lie a fossil coral. Color and weight are irrelevant as fossils often take their color from the material that replaces the origional organic structure-as too the weight depends upon the same thing. Those "protiusions" as you call them, are branches.

This is Bizzare, but if you look at the variety of modern corals it is not out of the question. In Florida we often find coral that has fossilised disolved and then refossilised so that the origional shape is altered. I have included two pictures of the same species (a rose coral) to illustrate this.

The fossil - very close to it's living form...

post-1313-12565768120177_thumb.jpg

..This is after the fossilised material was disolved and the coral was re-fossilised only this time with calcite crystals.

post-1313-12565768378394_thumb.jpg

This is a coral from Tampa bay that has been rplaced with agate so that little of the origional structure remains.

post-1313-12565767119742_thumb.jpg

Thanks Sir, it's interesting to note.