Is this rock considered a fossil

anastasis008

So is this rock considered a trace fossil or a fossil at all? I am asking because I have seen similar rocks identified as fossils.

Thanks.

Screenshot_2019-07-08-21-01-00-231_com.miui.gallery.png

I don't see anything there that would suggest fossil,

not sure what rock it is but it does not look sedimentary.

• I found this Informative 1

Photo not clear enough to make any conclusions. Focused photos of all sides of the specimen after it has had debris removed from each surface may make identification possible. The only thing I can say about it at this point is, "yes, it's a rock, and it may be fossil". Having a size scale in the photo(s) would be helpful too.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

56 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Photo not clear enough to make any conclusions. Focused photos of all sides of the specimen after it has had debris removed from each surface may make identification possible. The only thing I can say about it at this point is, "yes, it's a rock, and it may be fossil". Having a size scale in the photo(s) would be helpful too.

Yeah you are right tomorrow I will take more pictures of it and publish them to make a conclusion.

To me this looks like a metamorphic rock with a lot of mineral ingredients, none of which looks fossil like. :headscratch:

Do you have any pictures of these other trace fossils that this resembles?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Greenish surface looks like a shiny slickenside / fault striation.

4 hours ago, Johannes said:

Greenish surface looks like a shiny slickenside / fault striation.

Good call.  It is very similar to slickensides we see on serpentinite of the Franciscan formation here in the San Francisco Bay Area.  Here it was formed in a subduction zone when a tectonic plate, the Farallon Plate, subducted under the North American Plate 70 million years ago.  Not sure of the geology around Greece but I vaguely recall it is something similar.  Definitely metamorphic, not fossiliferous.

I would say Serpentite. It is a metamorphic stone, not a fossil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan