First trip to the Green River Formation

Fossilis Willis

The family and just returned from awesome road trip that included a couple days of fossil hunting the Green River Formation at one of the commercial quarries open to the (paying) public near Kemmerer Wyoming. It was our first time and all three of us, especially my four year old daughter, had a great time splitting rock for fish fossils.The first day we spent splitting what the guys at the quarry called "upper layers". The stuff was on the soft side, split easy and had lots of small fish, mostly knights and diplomystus. The second they had us working stuff they referred to as "lower layers". This stuff was relatively harder but had some waves in it that made it much more difficult to split. It seemed worth the extra effort, because although we found less fish overall the second day, they were some bigger fish. I found a mioplosus and 3 phareodus of varying sizes, preservation and completeness, along with a few more little guys.Everything I found was far from perfect, and even my best finds need some work, but we came home with some cool stuff and some awesome family memories I will forever cherish. It was a great trip that was the first of what I suspect will be many out that way. As a side note, while in the area we swung by Lehi, UT to visit the Musuem of Ancient Life. This place was incredible and an absolute highlight of our trip. If you like fossils, and I can only assume you do if you're reading this, this museum will not disappoint. IMG_20190701_081010.thumb.jpg.2d21ac50f6a0813acc103532fea325ff.jpgThis is the quarry we huntedIMG_20190708_114951.thumb.jpg.8ebbfcf7f06f2dbaff69da4a3fd67d4f.jpgIMG_20190708_114741.thumb.jpg.2afdcda10634d21c2fb99a1037ba77f2.jpgSome of the knightia and diplosIMG_20190708_114632.thumb.jpg.0df37f0b39e92ba2fe9a742febd3c413.jpgA mostly complete mioplosus  that needs a little prep.IMG_20190706_101621.thumb.jpg.6e7517b6c965aa40f16170766a59154a.jpgThis phareodus is in pretty bad shape and missing more than half its body, but is big enough to make you get out of the water.Another phareodus, not as big but much better condition.IMG_20190706_101428.thumb.jpg.2d11605e9223a7bbef6b09f7e38bd948.jpgIMG_20190706_101317.thumb.jpg.bcf47f05e466d16a86a83f2729563186.jpgThis was my favorite find of the trip. Smaller than the other two phareodus but more complete. After a little repair and prep work this should be a neat fish.

• I found this Informative 5

Congratulations on a wonderful adventure. I enjoyed your account.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

A couple more pictures from the quarry.IMG_20190701_092103.thumb.jpg.335f728b0b0ce28caa76e12f22825718.jpgMy favorite fossil hunting buddy and IIMG_20190701_101525.thumb.jpg.16f65f3bee8c10fe248ac3504c050f82.jpgMe splitting a little slab.IMG_20190701_124640.thumb.jpg.ecfa52c16faa8203d27a419c7485d071.jpgAnd finally me at the trim saw. Notice the awful view and terrible weather. Not for the faint of heart.:P

• I found this Informative 6

Thanks for sharing your trip. You came away with some good fish and some great memories!  

:tff:

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Nothing like spending time with the family. Especially when you can do it and hunt fossils!  

And you are right...The weather and view look terrible! :P

Great finds by the way. Thanks for sharing!

:envy:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

It sounds as though you had a wonderful time!  Your daughter is absolutely adorable!!!  My almost 9-year-old daughter Viola is also my fossil-hunting buddy (my husband and son are not interested) - in fact, she's the one who got me into the hobby back when she was 5 when she started asking me about dinosaurs and fossils - she's a great fossiling partner:)

14 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Congratulations on a wonderful adventure. I enjoyed your account.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

14 hours ago, Pagurus said:

Thanks for sharing your trip. You came away with some good fish and some great memories!  

:tff:

It was great, we can't wait to go back.

13 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Nothing like spending time with the family. Especially when you can do it and hunt fossils!  

And you are right...The weather and view look terrible! :P

Great finds by the way. Thanks for sharing!

:envy:

A fella could enjoy spending time with extended family at a place like this, or dare I say it, even the in-laws. And yeah, mostly sunny, upper 70s and just enough breeze to keep the mosquitoes at bay. It was rough.:P

5 hours ago, Monica said:

It sounds as though you had a wonderful time!  Your daughter is absolutely adorable!!!  My almost 9-year-old daughter Viola is also my fossil-hunting buddy (my husband and son are not interested) - in fact, she's the one who got me into the hobby back when she was 5 when she started asking me about dinosaurs and fossils - she's a great fossiling partner:)

They make the best fossil hunting partners right. Lots of energy, very adventurous and sharp eyes. My only complaint is I have to do all the driving.:P 

Thanks for posting this great report, pictures, and finds. :) 

Glad you had a productive trip. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

23 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Thanks for posting this great report, pictures, and finds. :) 

Glad you had a productive trip. 

The trip reports posted by other forum members tends to be one of my favorite parts of the forum. It only seemed fair that I should share a bit of my adventure with you all. I wish we had taken more pictures, but we were busy having fun. 

39 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

Nice trip! I always like green river formation posts :) 

I would encourage you and anyone else considering making the journey to Wyoming to do so. 

37 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for yet another great split fish report *sigh*...one of these days...

I know how you feel. This one has been on my bucket list for a while now. The problem I'm having with my bucket list is the places I make it to seem to get circled, underlined and highlighted, but rarely do they do they checked off.

Nice finds and thanks for the report and photos. I hope the weather cooperates better on subsequent visits to the quarry. :D

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!