PVA / white glue re-do?

Sjfriend

Ok, have large block (about 90 cm wide and 12 cm thick) covered in Metasequoia leaves and carbonized wood that due to being partially wet when I recovered it I used white glue to lock the carbon in place. My question is, now that's its totally dried out, can I put Vinac over that to help with the whole block,  add more glue, remove glue (if possible?) then do Vinac, or just leave it be?

I doubt there is a perfect solution but with the knowledge here maybe there is a usable answer :)

Thanks, Steve

20190708_193057.jpg

I believe once PVA has set, it is next to impossible to cleanly remove it and attempts to do so tend to make a gummy mess of things.

I have not tried to do so, but that is the message I get when I hear of someone trying. 

Might not be worth destroying the plate to do so. I would let it be if I were you.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

You know, from this picture it hardly looks like there is any sort of coating on it! I can't see what you can see in person, but if it doesn't look any worse than this, then I would agree with caldigger: leave it as is. White glue is tougher than Vinac or Paraloid to remove but not as hard as superglue, in my experience. Superglue is the stuff that really turns into a sticky mess. I know that by adding water, white glue rehydrates into white globs that you might need a needle or similar tool to pick it off (spending hours or days).. Acetone might work better but it will never be as easy as Paraloid/Vinac. That might depend on brand of white glue, too - my experience is with WeldBond.

If the block is stable, leave it as it is. If not, treat the exposed areas with Vinac, Butvar, or Paraloid.

Dried white glue is a nightmare to remove if it has set for a time. If it is fresh, you can try soaking the block in acetone to loosen it and pick off what you can. Do not soak it in water. If you were concerned about the longevity of the piece before it was dry, you don’t want water anywhere near it now. Fossils tend to fall apart if soaked after they have dried if they are fragile at all.

Be aware that soaking in any solution can cause damage but acetone is the least likely to make a mess of things.

• I found this Informative 2

Is it having any problems? If not broken, don't try to fix it. I would leave it as is unless it has problems.

How much does that weigh? About 60 lbs.? If moving it is what worries you, build a storage/transport frame for it that will protect it when it needs to be moved.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

22 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Is it having any problems? If not broken, don't try to fix it. I would leave it as is unless it has problems.

How much does that weigh? About 60 lbs.? If moving it is what worries you, build a storage/transport frame for it that will protect it when it needs to be moved.

Actually,  weights over 100 lbs! Part of my hope is to flip it and remove some material from the backside to lighten it. Also to try and expose any other fossils hidden along some exposed planes. But, don't want the whole block to break. So I want to consolidate it more once flipped

@Ptychodus04 thanks

Kinda figured it would be trouble but better to ask then go on in life wondering ;)