Baja shark teeth and ?

Allosaurus

I received a handful of shark teeth from an older local gentleman's collection who told me they were from Baja near the Sea of Cortes between Santa Barbara and Lorentz. I assume they are great white teeth, but I'm hoping for a better geological context if possible (age and formation/group ideally, even if just suspected). I've done some research, but haven't turned up much. I saw a reference to the El Cien Fm, but am hoping for some input from others who have far greater knowledge than I do. Along with the teeth came a small chunk of bone that also came from around the same area. Input on what it is or might have come from would also be appreciated.

The largest tooth is 2 and 6/16ths in and the smallest is 2 1/16th in. The bone is 3 3/16ths in long and 1 2/16ths in wide.

2019-07-08-21-15-25.jpg

2019-07-08-21-13-37.jpg

2019-07-08-21-14-00.jpg

2019-07-08-21-14-22.jpg

2019-07-08-21-14-40.jpg

Are there serrations on the teeth?

I think Carcharadon hastalis. 

The bone looks older, cretaceous? 

I can see there are very worn serrations. These do look like GW teeth.

The bone is pretty nondescript, (maybe a section of rib ), not sure you are going to get much further on an ID for that.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

+1 for Great White 

The El Cien formation is Oligocene-Miocene in age. The transition of the broad-form Cosmopolitodus hastalis to the great white Carcharodon carcharias occurred in the late Miocene. The teeth have worn serrations which point to great whites. 

• I found this Informative 3

Hmmm, does anyone have a geologic map of Baja which shows specific formations? I've only been able to find maps showing general provinces so far. 

• 4 years later...

I too have been trying to find the specific formation that these Baja teeth come from. Anyone know?