Carcharodontosaurus or Chenanisaurus Tooth?

Omnomosaurus

I've come across this theropod tooth from Morocco online.

I strongly think it's Carcharodontosaurid, but the colouration and general shape doesn't seem to be too far off from what I've seen of Chenanisaurus (mainly looking at photos of @Troodon's). Just to rule out the chance that it does come from the phosphate mines, could anyone provide any input one way or another?

The photos provided are the only ones available, I'm afraid.

Tooth measures: 4cm.

Screenshot_20190709-131949.png.30e88f02aa748b257f5c3db7492edc0c.png

20190709_110754.jpg

20190709_110805.jpg

Believe its a Carcharodontosaurid.  The matrix that is attached to the tooth is typical of Kem Kem not Ouled basin.  Tips of Chenanisaurus, that Ive seen, extend beyond the base which is not seen here. Color is consistent with other teeth I have from the Kem Kem, Ouled teeth are a bit more orange.

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Believe its a Carcharodontosaurid.  The matrix that is attached to the tooth is typical of Kem Kem not Ouled basin.  Tips of Chenanisaurus, that Ive seen, extend beyond the base which is not seen here. Color is consistent with other teeth I have from the Kem Kem, Ouled teeth are a bit more orange.

Thanks for the confirmation, Troodon! I'm not well versed on the Ouled and haven't had a chance to see many different examples of Chenanisaurus to compare.

You are taking the right approach in keeping an eye for Ouled teeth.  Most sellers I'll bet are clueless about these teeth.   Other species might exist so be looking for the fine grey/brown sand from that deposit.   Specimens on matrix are the best for proper identification of locality. The Sainte Marie aux Mines show in France had at least one for sale from a dealer .  

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

You are taking the right approach in keeping an eye for Ouled teeth.  Most sellers I'll bet are clueless about these teeth.   Other species might exist so be looking for the fine grey/brown sand from that deposit.   Specimens on matrix are the best for proper identification of locality. The Sainte Marie aux Mines show in France had at least one for sale from a dealer .  

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out among random teeth from Morocco, just in case anything Ouled-looking is mixed in with the usual finds, but haven't come across much that's looked promising so far. Would've loved to have seen that tooth at the show in France!

So it's the fine grey/brown sand that's the thing to search for? I'll remember to look out for that! Would you say the orangey enamel colour is a trait for the formation too?

In my opinion the red sand matrix has been added to this piece.

I'm thinking this is the actual matrix color, which may or may not still be from the Kem Kem location.

20190709_104817.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, Omnomosaurus said:

So it's the fine grey/brown sand that's the thing to search for? I'll remember to look out for that! Would you say the orangey enamel colour is a trait for the formation too?

I dont have lots of samples to compare against but they all have the same color so it may be but cannot be sure.  You can get a good look at the matrix on my tooth.  In the end its the morphology of the tooth that will give it away not the matrix and your does not match.

C6.thumb.jpg.4d5f9220ef1d7ff460d3fe271a4c0cab.jpg

AbelT4.thumb.jpg.de1787a0db7e4b259e4d7f7eb3d28162.jpg

Carcharadontosaur ifezouane formation mostly likely from near Erfoud.

Thanks Matt

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

I dont have lots of samples to compare against but they all have the same color so it may be but cannot be sure.  You can get a good look at the matrix on my tooth.  In the end its the morphology of the tooth that will give it away not the matrix and your does not match.

C6.thumb.jpg.4d5f9220ef1d7ff460d3fe271a4c0cab.jpg

AbelT4.thumb.jpg.de1787a0db7e4b259e4d7f7eb3d28162.jpg

Thanks, that's the best photo I've seen of the Ouled matrix, so I'll use your photo as the main point of reference in future.

At least I know to look for that morphology now, and it might be worth keeping an eye out for any different, as of yet unrecognised morphologies from this formation that may be going under the radar too.

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

In my opinion the red sand matrix has been added to this piece.

I'm thinking this is the actual matrix color, which may or may not still be from the Kem Kem location.

20190709_104817.png

Ah, that's interesting! I don't remember noticing grey "stone" looking matrix from the usual Kem Kem specimens before.

It'd make sense if someone had used the old trick of trying to cover up damage with extra sand matrix.

37 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Carcharadontosaur ifezouane formation mostly likely from near Erfoud.

Thanks Matt

Thanks, Matt. That's a detailed piece of identification for a Kem Kem tooth! :dinothumb:

Very difficult to say anything about that grey area since its blurry and not a good angle.