Carboniferous trilobite ID help

fossilized6s

@piranha @GerryK

Can anyone confirm this is Paladin transilis? I found this in the Carboniferous of Illinois. 

20190708_224655_1562685092814.thumb.jpg.9753f453a4725b1d0240853b01e7ae61.jpg

20190708_224244_1562685148706.thumb.jpg.0c1bb5befc4b4eff2e035680ebc3e207.jpg

Not sure if they've ever been described here......

And yes it's preserved in pyrite. 

• I found this Informative 8

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Cannot confirm, but wow! Sure is lovely. I will pray to the fossil gods to keep pyrite rot away from your marvelous specimen...

Very nice colorful find! :drool:

Paladin transilis is a Russian species. "Carboniferous of Illinois" is a broad term, what is the formation? 

This specimen has a median preoccipital lobe and pygidium that matches key features for Ditomopyge. 

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Well Charlie, looks like you won the "Golden Trilo" award!  :SlapHands:

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 hours ago, facehugger said:

Cannot confirm, but wow! Sure is lovely. I will pray to the fossil gods to keep pyrite rot away from your marvelous specimen...

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

@piranha would be able to offer an authoritative answer.  Lovely specimen! :wub:

Don

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Well Charlie, looks like you won the "Golden Trilo" award!  :SlapHands:

Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with it so far. More to come. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

2 hours ago, piranha said:

Very nice colorful find! :drool:

Paladin transilis is a Russian species. "Carboniferous of Illinois" is a broad term, what is the formation? 

This specimen has a median preoccipital lobe and pygidium that matches key features for Ditomopyge. 

Thank you. 

It's still unclear what formation this is, because there aren't any papers that i know of on this site. But i believe it is the Carbondale formation. 

~Charlie~

1 hour ago, fossilized6s said:

Thank you. 

It's still unclear what formation this is, because there aren't any papers that i know of on this site. But i believe it is the Carbondale formation. 

Was there a shale member above or below that you noticed? A coal seam? Limestone? You see what I'm getting at, right?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

pleasing the senses or mind aesthetically :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Was there a shale member above or below that you noticed? A coal seam? Limestone? You see what I'm getting at, right?

Glacial deposit, then gray shale (trilo layer), then black shale, then limestone. That's why I'm leaning towards Carbondale. 

~Charlie~

27 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Glacial deposit, then gray shale (trilo layer), then black shale, then limestone. That's why I'm leaning towards Carbondale. 

Possibly Excello Shale member then?

Mark.

7 hours ago, westcoast said:

That is one very nice find

6 hours ago, abyssunder said:

pleasing the senses or mind aesthetically :)

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

~Charlie~

5 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Possibly Excello Shale member then?

Not sure. I'll have to look into it more. Thank you. 

~Charlie~

Not all that glitters is gold, but may this beautiful specimen continue to do so.

Context is critical.

Wow! Those are stunning. I have found trilobites in the Pennsylvanian La Salle Limestone member of the Bond Formation in La Salle County, Illinois that look similar, and the guidebooks list Ditomopyge and Ameura as the only two genera present. 

• I found this Informative 1

12 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Wow! Those are stunning. I have found trilobites in the Pennsylvanian La Salle Limestone member of the Bond Formation in La Salle County, Illinois that look similar, and the guidebooks list Ditomopyge and Ameura as the only two genera present. 

Thanks. That's good to know. 

~Charlie~

19 hours ago, Missourian said:

Not all that glitters is gold, but may this beautiful specimen continue to do so.

Thanks Missourian for your blessing. Lol

~Charlie~

The genal spine seems a bit on the short side to be the specie you mentioned in the OP. I'm getting better at trilos and I'm not even trying. I hold this forum responsible for that phenomenon.

Mark.

19 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

The genal spine seems a bit on the short side to be the specie you mentioned in the OP. I'm getting better at trilos and I'm not even trying. I hold this forum responsible for that phenomenon.

The species (species is singular and plural) frequently seen on the internet labeled as Paladin transilis is actually Ditompyge producta

The median preoccipital lobe is the easiest way to tell them apart.

image.png.4aacaab2f956061302ff521d28929ffd.png

• I found this Informative 4

8 minutes ago, piranha said:

The species (species is singular and plural) frequently seen on the internet labeled as Paladin transilis is actually Ditompyge producta

The median preoccipital lobe is the easiest way to tell them apart.

image.png.4aacaab2f956061302ff521d28929ffd.png

I see what you mean -- I am now unlearning the previous info. There's really no point in Googling an image of anything, is there? It's all BS. Only the images showed it at least twice the length of these drawings.

Mark.

Just now, Mark Kmiecik said:

There's really no point in Googling an image of anything, is there? It's all BS. Only the images showed it at least twice the length of these drawings.

Not necessarily. There is a mix of legitimate and illegitimate/irrelevant images available on Google. Keep in mind that the images supplied are based on what the bot crawler finds, and may include mislabelled information, or tangentially associated reference (a search for a specific trilobite yielded a picture of my friend that might have appeared on a site referencing the trilobite). Ideally, going to peer-reviewed academic sources is the gold standard, but some of the images referenced in a Google image search may include those. Navigating the images search requires some skills in curating information, and this remains true of anything found on the internet.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

11 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I see what you mean -- I am now unlearning the previous info. There's really no point in Googling an image of anything, is there? It's all BS. Only the images showed it at least twice the length of these drawings.

The genal spines are variable depending on the species.  Figure 5a from the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology is Ditomopyge scitula.  In comparing the Russian species of Paladin transilis and Ditomopyge producta, besides the absence of a preoccipital lobe, the genal spines of P. transilis extend only to the 7th thoracic segment.  The genal spines of D. producta extend considerably further down to the pygidium.

• I found this Informative 3

3 minutes ago, piranha said:

The genal spines are variable depending on the species.  Figure 5a from the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology is Ditomopyge scitula.  In comparing the Russian species of Paladin transilis and Ditomopyge producta, besides the absence of a preoccipital lobe, the genal spines of P. transilis extend only to the 7th thoracic segment.  The genal spines of D. producta extend considerably further down to the pygidium.

I am beginning to understand that the image is a depiction of the genus? and species vary from that within a limited range. Trilobites are somewhat complicated.

Mark.

1 minute ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I am beginning to understand that the image is a depiction of the genus? and species vary from that within a limited range. Trilobites are somewhat complicated.

It may be due to faunal provinces which account for the variation. This will account for some allopatric speciation. For example, the faunal range for a Ductina vietnamica might have been broader than, say, a Coltraneia oufatenensis. And, yes, trilobites can be complicated... but so, too, can be the most intriguing romances! :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer