Mammal (marine) Earbone

Shellseeker

Found very little yesterday. This is somewhat unique as are all earbones. Found in a Bone Valley area with no Pleistocene material but with pre_equus horse teeth. 

At first, I thought "baleen whale", but it is too small.  Asking @Harry Pristis and @Boesse to evaluate, but encourage all comments and suggestions.  Jack

IMG_0001.thumb.JPEG.bfa4eefa3a1d89b8118fb86b01848219.JPEGIMG_0003.thumb.JPEG.521b3039a32000698f680ca9cdda390f.JPEGIMG_0004.thumb.JPEG.3c2da2406f8954e5e74060b478bf82d7.JPEGIMG_0005.thumb.JPEG.e1971313a03dc841548ab557d5db6514.JPEGIMG_0006.thumb.JPEG.1dd199a2e8dcde72467027ea9d0139a5.JPEGIMG_0007.thumb.JPEG.67d9586857ab64b9564e68daca55df65.JPEG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Shellseeker,  Looks about the same size and somewhat similar to this one Boesse id'd as baleen whale. Pulled from the Peace River in May.  Yours appears a more complete._88I5496.jpg.14c4bf18847d590aec3f649d46a0835a.jpg_88I5492.jpg.ce9f9c37bd3df6803d014b0d9606cc16.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

On 7/10/2019 at 8:39 AM, PODIGGER said:

Shellseeker,  Looks about the same size and somewhat similar to this one Boesse id'd as baleen whale. Pulled from the Peace River in May.  Yours appears a more complete.

WoW, This IS interesting...  I hope that Bobby will comment on the size of these. If these earbones are fullsized at birth,  then we are dealing with mighty small Baleen whales..  How small are they?

Here is a collection photo:

From left to right:  The fossil I found Monday;  a Baleen whale ear bone (identified by Bobby previously) that seems a lot different from this recent one; and an ear bone identified as hosenose (likely Mastodon).  "Curiouser and curiouser.."image.png.772aed6d64b26c6331de4095bb5b4d16.png

IMG_0008.thumb.JPEG.a628fee523750841ab88fee20a44e3e2.JPEG

BoesseTFF.JPG.bce12f9c294e0b4e616b6c02119e8687.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

15 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I hope that Bobby will comment on the size of these. If these earbones are fullsized at birth,  then we are dealing with mighty small Baleen whales.. 

I have heard that the cetatean ear bone are full size at birth and do not get larger in adults.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

This is another Parietobalaena-grade petrosal/periotic - baleen whale. Very close in morphology to Parietobalaena and Diorocetus. This is to my knowledge the only other Parietobalaena-grade earbone collected from Florida, if the one collected by @PODIGGER is the one I am thinking of that he recently donated to FLMNH. This one is certainly worthy of study as well if it were donated and would make a nice companion!

"Kelloggitheres" are a grade of well-known baleen whales that are poorly understood in terms of their taxonomy/phylogeny.

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, Boesse said:

This is another Parietobalaena-grade petrosal/periotic - baleen whale. Very close in morphology to Parietobalaena and Diorocetus. This is to my knowledge the only other Parietobalaena-grade earbone collected from Florida, if the one collected by @PODIGGER is the one I am thinking of that he recently donated to FLMNH. This one is certainly worthy of study as well if it were donated and would make a nice companion!

"Kelloggitheres" are a grade of well-known baleen whales that are poorly understood in terms of their taxonomy/phylogeny.

Thanks to both Bobby and Al Dente,

I always try to increase my knowledge driven by my finds and will search for "Parietobabaena".  If you have a favorite reference on this whale, please point me to it.  I will be donating this fossil.

Jack

• I found this Informative 2

Jack, This is great. Two new finds donated to FLMNH that can help further scientific research.  Congrats!

JIm

Great find Jack, congrats :yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Great find. It does look similar to some of the STH ear bones I have that are Parietobalaena. What a cool thing to find and donate in the name of science. Awesome :)

On 7/10/2019 at 9:45 PM, Shellseeker said:

I will be donating this fossil.

:tiphat:

Way to go!

Cheers.

-Ken