Warriner954

Can you explain your "tags"? Metal?, human?

I gather this was found in Tennessee, but you will need to narrow that down considerably.

We will also need some in focus pictures to help with an ID.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

To me it looks like vaporized bone filled with or coated iron-oxid located in eastern tennessee mountains

The black one is interesting. The rest just look like regular plain rocks. Some good photos of the black one would be appreciated. Top, bottom, left, right, front, back -- imagine it inside a clear cube -- you want to take a photo of all six sides.

I don't see bone or any fossils in the rest of the rocks, but the photo quality is not good enough to tell if there is anything there that could be. Not meteorites either. Not even suggestive of meteorites.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

8 hours ago, Warriner954 said:

To me it looks like vaporized bone filled with or coated iron-oxid located in eastern tennessee mountains

Wouldn't a vapor just sort of drift away ?

Sorry, but I think you are mistaken.

The black one looks like coal (or charcoal).

The red one looks like iron rich sandstone.

The first group is mostly iron concretions.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Geologic map of Tennessee.

TennGeoMap - Large.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tennessee is an incredible state for fossil collecting.  I don't see a fossil in the specimens you show, but don't be discouraged.  It's often a great idea to join a local fossil club, in part because people with a lot of experience can show you what to look for, in part because clubs can often get permission to collect on private property such as quarries when individuals cannot, and in part because it is generally more fun to collect with like-minded people.  Good luck!

Don

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks that's actually good news I can add to the rock farm and not feel guilty about it and my kids don't care they are all rather neat. The land owner requested me to check because of the location being old indian land. Happy hunting.

• JohnJ locked this topic