ID references for Eurypterids

DevonianDigger

Hello all!

I'm looking for recommendations on good resources to help me identify a ton of material that I recently acquired from the Sojka eurypterid collection. I believe it is all from the Bertie Waterlime, but I can't be entirely sure. Some of the pieces have collection numbers, but I don't have access to the collection records. I am guessing that any of the collection records went with the rest of the collection to the Yale Peabody, but I can't imagine that I would honestly be able to match up the information without a lot of time and access. There's a lot of assorted material and lots of bits and pieces to ID. I figure that this will give me a good opportunity to learn a ton about a new subject!

Thanks! - J

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

2 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Hello all!

I'm looking for recommendations on good resources to help me identify a ton of material that I recently acquired from the Sojka eurypterid collection. I believe it is all from the Bertie Waterlime, but I can't be entirely sure. Some of the pieces have collection numbers, but I don't have access to the collection records. I am guessing that any of the collection records went with the rest of the collection to the Yale Peabody, but I can't imagine that I would honestly be able to match up the information without a lot of time and access. There's a lot of assorted material and lots of bits and pieces to ID. I figure that this will give me a good opportunity to learn a ton about a new subject!

Thanks! - J

No numbers on the specimens? 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

No numbers on the specimens? 

As I mentioned, some of them have collection numbers, but there are thousands of them, and I don't have easy access to the collection records. I don't even know if they are at Yale Peabody. The problem is there were 4 brothers who collected them, I don't know which of the brothers collected the material in my possession. I also don't know if there was a unified collection record between them or if they all maintained separate records. So I figure I am better off just trying to ID the pieces myself. 

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

2 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

As I mentioned, some of them have collection numbers, but there are thousands of them, and I don't have easy access to the collection records. I don't even know if they are at Yale Peabody. The problem is there were 4 brothers who collected them, I don't know which of the brothers collected the material in my possession. I also don't know if there was a unified collection record between them or if they all maintained separate records. So I figure I am better off just trying to ID the pieces myself. 

I hear you. That's why I am a true fan of cataloging one's collection, especially the scientifically significant pieces.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Well, now the situation gets more confusing. I was told this was part of the collection that went to Yale, but theirs is the Samuel Ciurca collection, I have material from Tony and Michael Sojka. Somewhere lines got crossed. So now I'm really screwed, lol. I definitely don't have access to the collection records now! Ugh... 

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Jay, 

You might try to contact Dave Rudkin at the R.O.M., or have @Al Tahan introduce you to  Alan Lang. 

0400_GC2010_Eurypterids_and_More.pdf

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The classic reference is "The Eurypterida of New York" Memoir 14 - vols. 1 & 2 - Clarke and Ruedemann: PDF LINK

The updated taxonomy can be found in this excellent paper:

Tetlie, O.E. 2007

Distribution and dispersal history of Eurypterida (Chelicerata).

Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 252:557-574  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hey jay! Very jealous of your newly acquired collection. Are you unsure if your dealing with Phelps vs williamsville formation, remipes vs lacustrus? 

13 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Jay, 

You might try to contact Dave Rudkin at the R.O.M., or have @Al Tahan introduce you to  Alan Lang. 

0400_GC2010_Eurypterids_and_More.pdf

Just as an FYI, Dave Rudkin has been retired for the last couple of years. I'm sure someone at the ROM could be of help, but I can't say who. The ROM did put out a book about the Eurypterids & Phyllocarids years ago (the same series of books as the classic green trilobite book). If you can find a copy online it may be worth checking out.

• I found this Informative 2

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else