Brynn

Can anyone ID? It has the lines on the side that look like they could be from a fin or  plant maybe, idk, and there's the column.

20190711_212921.jpg

Edited by Brynn

I think it looks like an imprint of a crinoid. Could we get better pictures at different angles? Also where was it found?

Duplicate ID request. Tags state Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

And I agree with the crinoid column imprint.

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, Brynn said:

It has the lines on the side that look like they could be from a fin or  plant maybe, idk, and there's the column.

As others have said, the column is a crinoid stem impression. The lines to the left of the column are probably not fin or plant material. More likely a shell impression. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Lest one think this shape is just wrong for a crinoid stem.

IMG_5035a.jpg

This is fossil DNA -- can't you see the double helix? :D

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Just crossed my mind a crinoid root / holdfast / anchoring system, considering the nicely arranged row(s) of knobs visible in the picture.
Here's an example of what I'm thinking about:

1F10.large.jpg.1f11ec9bf8068faa3ea5b9c87d848ad6.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Just crossed my mind a crinoid root / holdfast / anchoring system, considering the nicely arranged row(s) of knobs visible in the picture.

The straight rows is a better match, but would the columnals be as well defined in a holdfast ?

32 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The straight rows is a better match, but would the columnals be as well defined in a holdfast ?

I think yes, if we are looking from inside out of a holdfast, as exemplified in the sketch above at " cirral grapnels - E ".

similar picture resembling the specimen in question from here

5d291bcaa7f6b_crinoidholdfast070609_editedbyme.jpg.bc21d0d5f49ca2366df9ec0418e2c81c.jpg20190711_212921.jpg.0473f36ae1af9f30ebe5d1dce38be93e.thumb.jpg.ef39b2650495afa70f97c4b1b815ff60.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

if we are looking from inside out of a holdfast, as exemplified in the sketch above at " cirral grapnels - E ".

Could be.

More views of the post may help to determine if this is the case.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, Rockwood said:

Could be.

More views of the post may help to determine if this is the case.

I agree.
At the actual stage, the resemblance might be good.

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 7/12/2019 at 7:35 AM, FossilNerd said:

As others have said, the column is a crinoid stem impression. The lines to the left of the column are probably not fin or plant material. More likely a shell impression. 

I agree with this assessment. With that said, I love this find! Trace fossils are awesome!

2 hours ago, Sberebit said:

Trace fossils are awesome!

In theory I suppose it could be a trace fossil. These were relatively mobile for crinoids, but it's more likely to be a body fossil.

Trace fossils are the result of an activity. 

• I found this Informative 1

15 hours ago, Rockwood said:

In theory I suppose it could be a trace fossil. These were relatively mobile for crinoids, but it's more likely to be a body fossil.

Trace fossils are the result of an activity. 

I have been calling anything that leaves an imprint a 'trace fossil'. Thank you for the correction.