Ordovician Hard Rock Quarry in Roscoe, IL

Praefectus

Today I went on a dual club field trip (Earth Science Club of Northern Illinois and Rock River Valley Gem and Mineral Society) to an Ordovician aged quarry in Roscoe, Illinois. It was a hot day for fossil hunting, but a cool breeze kept things refreshing. There were over 20 people on the trip and everyone was finding fossils of some sort. 

Some pictures of the quarry. 

5d2a2e93ccfa0_Photo3Edit.jpg.0f619685bbc88223f93017b5f8d97ef6.jpg

5d2a2e92e8564_Photo1Edit.jpg.989789666d5ee2fc424c50619ada4a3d.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

This pile was filled with Receptaculites. 

5d2a322ea9f2e_Photo2Edit.jpg.49287d41415db381fb2400367d046af0.jpg

Below are some of the finds I took home. I am not super knowledgeable about Ordovician fossils so feel free to correct or confirm the IDs. 

Receptaculites

5d2a327163a8f_Photo4.jpg.73753f2d7921311c163fba34f949c42e.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Fossil shell imprints

5d2a32fdad297_Photo5.jpg.0f28bfebd5726b4236231a4cf99ede1e.jpg

Chert (not fossil)

5d2a3310a16c7_Photo6.jpg.3fee2c500bda52ab00da2aae61438184.jpg

Gastropod? I'm not sure about this one. 

5d2a3327a3fd8_Photo7.jpg.64acf087244b357352de4227c15c699b.jpg

Some more pictures of the gastropod. 

5d2a3370e0bbf_Photo8.jpg.6c9e04c842671341023e3542b9aa6183.jpg5d2a33718035d_Photo9.jpg.8ae145798d52941237459425badce649.jpg

Big thanks to Dave from ESCONI for helping me out at the beginning. 

Looks to have been a fun field trip. Thanks for the trip report.

Receptaculites was one of my first fossils I collected when I was a kid. Still have a special place in my heart for that odd geometrical fossil. I think your gastro is in fact a species of brachiopod. Others who know the Ordovician better can offer a more precise identification. Nothing that old down here in Florida--we strain to get as far back as the Eocene. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, digit said:

I think your gastro is in fact a species of brachiopod

Am in total agreement with brachiopod. Did anyone find a complete fisherite (recepticulite) ?

Mike

Great pictures and report!  It look like it was a nice day.   Do you mind if I use a few pictures on the ESCONI website for a report?   I wasn't able to make the trip today.

Cheers,

Rich

3 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Am in total agreement with brachiopod. Did anyone find a complete fisherite (recepticulite) ?

Mike

I didn't see any complete fisherite (receptaculites) but there were a few that were almost complete. 

7 minutes ago, stats said:

Great pictures and report!  It look like it was a nice day.   Do you mind if I use a few pictures on the ESCONI website for a report?   I wasn't able to make the trip today.

Cheers,

Rich

Sure. Feel free to use the pictures. 

4 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

I didn't see any complete fisherite (receptaculites) but there were a few that were almost complete. 

Sure. Feel free to use the pictures. 

Thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

I was on this trip too and it was unfortunate the quarry was mostly flooded, but I did come away with a nice assortment of mollusks that I am quite happy with. I would recommend carefully breaking open some of the chert to see what may be hiding inside. The fossils are very small and fragile but have some beautiful preservation when seen under the microscope.

I was not able to make this trip, looks like you had fun- thanks for the great pictures and finds.

Hello all,

Excellent pictures!  Is there any information on joining these clubs?  Please post the links if you can.  I used to live in the area.   What geologic formations are you collecting from?  I  have the 1975  publication that describes the quarries and how they correlate to one another.  Does anyone have the Ordovician fossil identification key?  That would be helpful to post.  Thank you in advance! 

4 hours ago, Gregory Kruse said:

Hello all,

Excellent pictures!  Is there any information on joining these clubs?  Please post the links if you can.  I used to live in the area.   What geologic formations are you collecting from?  I  have the 1975  publication that describes the quarries and how they correlate to one another.  Does anyone have the Ordovician fossil identification key?  That would be helpful to post.  Thank you in advance! 

Check out www.esconi.org for the ESCONI club.  We are celebrating our 70th Anniversary this year.

Cheers,

Rich