Strange NJ Cretaceous Fish Bone

The Jersey Devil

Hi everyone, I have this partial fish bone from the Late Campanian of New Jersey, 72 Ma. I have never seen this type of bone structure before, but for some reason it reminds me of some type of rostrum (billfish?). It is a little over an inch at greatest dimension.

Any ideas are appreciated!

4B2D6F12-8735-4AB7-979D-B100ABCEE5F4.jpeg

C4120FFC-03F6-4EAC-ABC6-216702466482.jpeg

910DF47D-5F90-44A7-81F6-D3090DB7AA87.jpeg

B9AAF4A5-D1DF-45FC-BDBB-CD10F3B42CF6.jpeg

BE93486C-6AFE-4775-966A-8B97FB2F07A3.jpeg

70C32133-9082-4B25-AF34-A26AFD153B45.jpeg

AF5B5410-F272-4E53-9ABE-04C0F711DBC8.jpeg

1B8FCE78-3BCD-48E4-B4F6-BA64B3CD1601.jpeg

Edited by The Jersey Devil

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Protosphyraena ?

That would be very interesting as Protosphyraena is extremely rare here. Do you know if it or other similar-age fish have the same structure?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Tim may have an idea. 

@Fossildude19

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

21 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Tim may have an idea. 

@Fossildude19

I've got nothing. 

I'm better with older fish, honestly. :shrug:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Carl @non-remanié

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On 7/14/2019 at 4:17 PM, Rockwood said:

Protosphyraena ?

I found this image online:

EPC1994-04.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

4 hours ago, hemipristis said:

I found this image online:

EPC1994-04.jpg

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Maybe. I was thinking rostrum though.

Thanks guys!

It definitely looks very similar. However, I am not entirely sure that Protosphyraena is the only fish that possessed that type of structure.

I'm not seeing enough there to even feel confident it's a fish. Certainly interesting and definitely looks like bone.

6 hours ago, Carl said:

I'm not seeing enough there to even feel confident it's a fish. Certainly interesting and definitely looks like bone.

What would it be if it’s not fish? It definitely doesn’t have that reptilian/dinosaurian bone structure.

I actually have a piece with a similar pattern. I thought it was turtle shell and never gave it a second thought but I could be wrong so isn't an attempt to ID, just a comparison piece.

IMG_20190715_181109.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I actually have a piece with a similar pattern. I thought it was turtle shell and never gave it a second thought but I could be wrong so isn't an attempt to ID, just a comparison piece.

IMG_20190715_181109.jpg

Neat piece Frank. Could you please take some more pics of the different sides?

9 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Neat piece Frank. Could you please take some more pics of the different sides?

Sure! I should be able to get some more pictures this afternoon. 

17 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

What would it be if it’s not fish? It definitely doesn’t have that reptilian/dinosaurian bone structure.

I'd use caution with a piece this small. I've seen this kind of texture on turtles, as mentioned, and I've seen "what else could it be" go tragically wrong too many times to use it cavalierly.

4 hours ago, Carl said:

I'd use caution with a piece this small. I've seen this kind of texture on turtles, as mentioned, and I've seen "what else could it be" go tragically wrong too many times to use it cavalierly.

Well, alrighty thanks for the heads up. I think it looked “fishy” when I looked at its side structure :P.

38 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

A day late and a dollar short but here are the other angles of mine..

turt1.jpg

turt2.jpg

turt99.jpg

Yeah, that is definitely a turtle peripheral.

• 2 weeks later...

I lean towards Protosphyraena but that's not the only option.  I believe it is bony fish.   More precise locality info might help.   I think Enchodus opercular bones have a similar surface pattern or texture as well. 

• I found this Informative 3

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

16 hours ago, non-remanié said:

I lean towards Protosphyraena but that's not the only option.  I believe it is bony fish.   More precise locality info might help.   I think Enchodus opercular bones have a similar surface pattern or texture as well. 

If it is Protosphyraena, would it be part of the fin like in the picture posted above?

Could size rule out Enchodus?

• 7 months later...
On 8/2/2019 at 12:21 AM, non-remanié said:

I was thinking, could Pachycormiformes cover the possibilities better?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachycormiformes