Good Day Digging Titanotheres

PaleoNoel

Today I went with Dr. Steve Nicklas and others from PaleoProspectors to a private ranch outside of Lusk, WY to help them excavate some Titanothere fossils from a bone bed they had discovered earlier this season ahead of the guests arriving for this week of fossil hunting.

It was a hot and humid day (for Wyoming) and being in the white river formation where the white exposures reflect the light back towards you, it only made things hotter. But we dealt with the temperatures and got some awesome fossils out of the ground. I also got to keeps some fossils I found that weren't associated with the working area.

Here are some pics-

IMG_4089.thumb.JPG.44df8db6a5da8a6185124ee73a4e4683.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Here's a small sample of some bones and little bits of titanothere teeth I found across these rises and washes

IMG_4093.thumb.JPG.2e40142f3ef0ce61fb601dbd0ef765a6.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Unfortunately many of the images I really wanted to show (the bones and teeth) are over the limit for me to post on here. I know I can resize, but since I'm on my Chromebook and not my computer at home I'm not sure how to do so. 

Here are some of my other fossils from today-

Some titanothere tooth fragments

IMG_4105.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

And now my favorite find of the day: a piece of titanothere canine tooth!

IMG_4108.thumb.JPG.4c5988f33dfdfbc065f4d92bf6912379.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

cool.  I was in Lusk this past week digging up dino bones for work. Yup, it was hot.  Did you get a chance to go to the Rawhide Pageant?  

Very cool! (Though that may be the wrong word to describe Lusk in the summer). ;)

I have fond memories of the Lusk area with @jpc a few years back when we made a trip through Wyoming which resulted in us buying yet another suitcase on a trip just to be able to transport home our rock and fossil hoard. :P

If you took your images in the field with a smart phone (some 99% of photos are these days), I've heard that you can email a photo to yourself and most phones give you the opportunity to resize the image so it takes up less space. That would likely get you a few images per post before you hit the limit. I'd love to see some more action photos from the field.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

On 7/15/2019 at 12:13 AM, jpc said:

cool.  I was in Lusk this past week digging up dino bones for work. Yup, it was hot.  Did you get a chance to go to the Rawhide Pageant?  

I did not, didn't know it was taking place lol

On 7/15/2019 at 8:37 AM, digit said:

Very cool! (Though that may be the wrong word to describe Lusk in the summer). ;)

I have fond memories of the Lusk area with @jpc a few years back when we made a trip through Wyoming which resulted in us buying yet another suitcase on a trip just to be able to transport home our rock and fossil hoard. :P

If you took your images in the field with a smart phone (some 99% of photos are these days), I've heard that you can email a photo to yourself and most phones give you the opportunity to resize the image so it takes up less space. That would likely get you a few images per post before you hit the limit. I'd love to see some more action photos from the field.

You're absolutely right with that first line, it was about 90+ degrees F that day.

I can certainly relate, it's gonna be a heavy load to take home when all is said and done.

Thanks for the tip on the resizing of the images!