Possible fossils? Lakes Entrance, Victoria, south eastern Australia

Annabackwards

Hello,

These two items were found on the beach near Lakes Entrance in Victoria, Australia.  There's a good chance they may just be rocks, but members of a rock identification forum wondered if they might be fossils, so I thought I'd ask the experts! No 1 has an unusual shape and no 2 has rows of little holes a fairly consistent distance apart.  Is anyone able to tell me one way or the other if they are rocks or fossils?  Any help is gratefully received.

Thanks very much!

Anna

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.JPG

image6.JPG

image7.JPG

image8.JPG

image9.JPG

Agreed that #1 shows signs of weathered layered sedimentary rock. Item #2 has an interesting texture but there is nothing there to suggest it is not from a geologic process (and not biologically produced). Thanks for coming to the forum with an open mind that these may be "just rocks" as that is what they appear to be. You've got a good eye for unusual shapes and patterns. That is a bonus when surface hunting for fossils. The discrimination to tell fossil from oddly shaped and patterned geological items comes with experience. There is a lot of experience represented in the collective minds of our membership so you turned to a good place for an opinion. ;)

If you are interested in fossils, there are places in southern Australia where they can be found. I know the Beaumaris site in the Melbourne area is a productive site (and there are other places that can be located with a bit of research). Welcome to the forum and if you are more than just casually interested in fossils, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

+1 geological. I see nothing that would suggest organic origin.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Looks like the water weathered rocks. I would definitely keep looking if you're interested ;), bound to find something!

Thanks very much for your patient and helpful responses! It's always a bit of a concern that when you ask a potentially dumb question on a forum, people will get annoyed with you, so thanks for being so kind and encouraging.  I'm first and foremost a rock fan, so I'm happy to have some interesting rocks, the only downside is that they are still unidentified.  Since joining I've read a whole lot of other posts and it's so interesting, I might just start actually looking for a fossil or two!  Thanks again very much for your help.

• I found this Informative 1

I'm glad your first posts were met with the non-judgemental replies that we strive for here. We try to be different from the noise and static of many other social platforms and it's nice to hear when that is appreciated. :)

Lots of rock, mineral and gem fans here on the forum--there is a whole subforum section dedicated just to that since there is a significant crossover with fossil enthusiasts. You'll find that section scrolling down the home page. Some interesting fossils to be found in your general area--maybe we can get you hooked on those as well. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken