Arkona South Pit

Kane

Spent Sunday with two Forum friends on a dig at the south pit of Arkona. My focus was on the Hungry Hollow Member. We didn't come away with any showstoppers, but it was a nice, sunny day and not too hot. We saw a deer and her fawn, dragonflies with either a bright blue or green metallic sheen, biting deer flies, and wild raspberry plants ripe for picking. 

Spent this morning doing some preliminary cleanup abrasion of my finds. Fresh HH stuff from the layer tends to be pretty mucky, and it takes careful examination not to miss something good as it is really hard to make out detail. And then, when you take it home, that muck has dried and you wonder "why did I take this chunk of dirty rock home again?"

A selection of some of the stuff now that I've done some abrasion:

IMG_6156.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Closeups...

I rarely ever take coral, but I liked the shape of this one. Just a five minute pass with the air eraser at the moment:

IMG_6158.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Complete trilobites are tough to find in this layer as many who have dug it know all too well. This will be a Pseudodechenella missing a bit of the left side, and currently under a busy and sticky mess of crinoidal and bryozoan bits.

IMG_6159.JPG

One of a few Spinplatyceras I picked up. Fairly beefy in size, and after twenty minutes of abrasion I was able to transform it from dirtball to detailed. Still more work needed on it:

IMG_6160.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

A first for me. I've found placoderm bits in the Arkona shale, and in the Widder, but this is the first time finding them in the Hungry Hollow. 

IMG_6161.JPG

And finally, one of a bunch of Crassiproetus partials I picked up and abraded this morning. Only a little bit was showing initially, but I knew the pygidium would likely be complete. Measures about 3.3 cm at its widest. All abrasion is being done with baking soda.

IMG_6155.jpg

Wow you found a heck of a lot more than I did. I really only took home that large gastropod, the blastoid and some pyritized goniotites and of course a broken bucket!!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Wow you found a heck of a lot more than I did. I really only took home that large gastropod, the blastoid and some pyritized goniotites and of course a broken bucket!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that... but to get that coral into your bucket from that distance on the first try was pretty phenomenal. :D

Looks like a real cool place to hunt, thanks for the great report and pictures- also some real nice finds.

Always good to hear of forum members hanging out together! :dinothumb:

Nice finds and a good report as always. Thanks Kane! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Nice to see a few more things still coming out of there. Now I'm just gonna hijack this thread to show you some things from the day in June we spent there together.

An206a.thumb.jpg.1949eee7751893c61929b01f0c62648a.jpg

An208a.thumb.jpg.fb566c53f82e2d53fca5440c85bb60fc.jpg

B201a.jpg.7c9019dd3bb07d3f0feeb2ba819b1ed7.jpg

G245a.jpg.dc05e30c4e329ba9e828de9ee4c1a617.jpg

G246c-An204.thumb.jpg.7e36953d23072f5a6777bcf3d46c5f60.jpg

G247a.jpg.538e59f4fd0365f8f65118e1fbc9e191.jpg

T90.thumb.jpg.2ecc37cb11867391588c06304e27829a.jpg

G246b.jpg.8102bd78bd680ca49c7cd7d56606581e.jpg

:):):)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

They sure get better-looking when prepped. Congrats to both of you.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!