Mitten hunting

Keichhorn

Hey everyone, so I've done quite a few trips to the Rockport quarry in Alpena and a few road cuts around presque isle, but I was wondering if there aren't any "hidden gems" I'm missing out on in the LP. 

IMG_20190409_154503201.jpg

43 minutes ago, Keichhorn said:

Hey everyone, so I've done quite a few trips to the Rockport quarry in Alpena and a few road cuts around presque isle, but I was wondering if there aren't any "hidden gems" I'm missing out on in the LP. 

Lake Michigan shoreline for Petoskey stones (Halysites, fossil coral) and puddingstones (notably collectible conglomerate stones), obviously around the city of Petoskey, but elsewhere as well at the lake. The rest of Michigan is pretty much just a few exposures of marine fossils here and there. Google "fossil hunting in Michigan" and also look in the fossil hunting sites topic on this forum for specific site info if any is available. Any exposures like the one you're standing next to are also worth checking. If you live close enough there are lots of awesome sites in Indiana and Ohio that you can make day or weekend trips to.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I got the Rockport quarry from this site... I have a book that is a list of sites near Alpena. But the book was written in the 70's so most the exposures are either gone or under private property. Google didn't give me much of anything outside of this website. 

16 hours ago, Keichhorn said:

I got the Rockport quarry from this site... I have a book that is a list of sites near Alpena. But the book was written in the 70's so most the exposures are either gone or under private property. Google didn't give me much of anything outside of this website. 

Exposures in Michigan were limited to begin with 50 years ago. With time their number is decreasing. I have not hunted Michigan, so I can't help much.

Good luck. There are some folks from Michigan on the forum -- perhaps they'll chime in.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I am assuming you mean the lower part...I hunt the U.P. at least once a year, and there are tons of places to hunt fossils there.... If you are interested in the U.P. send me an email, and I'll tell you where I go. 

On 7/18/2019 at 9:20 AM, dalmayshun said:

I am assuming you mean the lower part...I hunt the U.P. at least once a year, and there are tons of places to hunt fossils there.... If you are interested in the U.P. send me an email, and I'll tell you where I go. 

That'd be cool. I've only been a few times.