Jasperized Petrified Wood?

vintorez

I have a decent collection of petrified wood I've found here in Utah mainly Triassic Chinle, Jurassic Morrison, and Cretaceous Cedar Mountain Formations. This one has me a little stumped though and I am mainly looking to see if anyone has seen something similar to this. I'm about 80% sure it's jasperized petrified wood. Possibly an old rotting log. This was found near Park City, Utah in Keetley volcanic strata. The locality is not from the ash deposits that produced the nice Silver Creek Junction petrified wood (now extinct under commercial developments) but more likely from the violent lahar deposits that came later. No scraps of petrified wood were found. Just this. More info here. ANCIENT VOLCANOES OF THE CENTRAL WASATCH RANGE1.thumb.jpg.53b2ec43ae0327b17c57bf503995d357.jpg2.thumb.jpg.b969899630db9477c55b1dda989dc956.jpg3.thumb.jpg.3ac4456a19ce5b50bdb35533a0aa5f70.jpg4.thumb.jpg.f0c44dae3ebb360399dddb8655eff6ca.jpg

By the exterior, it looks like a log that was replaced by jasper and agate. Since I see no or very little interior wood texture the whole thing is a cast. It deserves to be at least a yard rock.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The inside is where I have my doubts and it could be a limb cast but it kind of reminds me of a water soaked rotted log I'd see back home in western Washington. Like bogwood or something.

Areas of it look like partial tree rings, maybe the wood was entombed, mostly rotted/burned, then silicate replaced/casted. Very pretty at least.:wub:

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 year later...

This is a great top-shelf piece.  Classic Morisson colors & limb-cast type silicification.  I'll be interested to look into your mentioned volcanic strata.  I appreciate seeing this, thanks for the pictures.