Fossil or no fossil

Leahlovesnature

Hi everyone! :D

Mega mega newbie here and I’m not even sure if I got my hand on real fossils or not. So would appreciate any information and suggestions,

thankyou 

Leah, for any future pictures it would be best to have them sit on a stationary plain surface. When holding in your hand even the slightest unnoticeable movement will cause blurring of the subject matter in the picture.

Also when there is distance in the background it confuses the camera on what to focus on and usually the background wins. 

A plain surface on a table without your hand looking straight down on the object and not at an oblique angle would be your best choice. 

Just trying to help. :rolleyes:

Not seeing anymore obvious fossils except for the coral in the second item we discussed in an earlier post.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Yup - I was going to say the same thing caldigger suggested. I see the camera chose to focus on your hand in these pics, yet the object still seems slightly out of focus in most of them!

I also agree with the others, that one definitely looks like a Paleozoic coral. I'd go back to that spot and look for more.

Another tip: Be sure to record the location of your finds, especially the fossils, as this is the most important bit of data for determining other information about it. Best to write it down rather than trusting your memory, which I learned the hard way...

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Another tip: Be sure to record the location of your finds, especially the fossils, as this is the most important bit of data for determining other information about it.

And once you have a dozen or so places to go where you can collect it helps you remember where they are and what you can find.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

15 hours ago, Leahlovesnature said:

2CDDBEE4-2914-43C3-A1F3-58F9A9DE8AFA.jpeg

I agree this one is a coral. And i also agree with the advices given for your photos. And i add one : Don't forget to put a scale with them, but not a coin because it won't represent Something measurable for the members across the pond.

Cheers,

Sophie.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

9 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Yup - I was going to say the same thing caldigger suggested. I see the camera chose to focus on your hand in these pics, yet the object still seems slightly out of focus in most of them!

I also agree with the others, that one definitely looks like a Paleozoic coral. I'd go back to that spot and look for more.

Another tip: Be sure to record the location of your finds, especially the fossils, as this is the most important bit of data for determining other information about it. Best to write it down rather than trusting your memory, which I learned the hard way...

+1 

I have piles of fossils that I forgot to remember.:unsure:

Yes, there is no downside to labeling your fossils, except the bit of time you spend doing it (consider it an investment)!