Vibrio around dc

smt126

I'm heading to DC in less than 2 weeks with the family. I was hoping to hit up matoaka beach one day when it's nice to look for some fossils and let the kids play it they get bored of it. My wife though is freaking about all the vibrio and flesh eating bacteria stories in the news. I imagine this is quite rare but does anyone have any recommendations on "cleaner" areas to hunt. I'm debating on purse\brownies too when people are chilling at the hotel. I personally am going for it as id like to get some shells and teeth, but also want to make the wife a little less worried, especially if the kids want to go in.

A co-worker of mine fell down in a parking lot here in CT, and scraped his elbow. Apparently, he didn't clean it well enough, and ended up with necrotizing fasciitis. 

You never know what can happen, or where. 

In the recent case I saw from Florida, the gentleman had a comprised immune system, which contributed to his condition. 

It is fairly rare, but is present in Maryland and the Chesapeake Bay, according to this article

Common sense in protecting wounds ahead of time, (superglue works well)  or cleaning wounds immediately, and showering after being at the beach, should cut down on any risks. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is present, and has been an issue recently. I tend to play it more safe than sorry, but most local Marylanders I’ve met have been swimming in the water freely without worries. It is pretty widespread in the whole area so Matoaka will only be slightly dirtier. Now, unless you want to pay 18$ per person to go to brownies, well....

• I found this Informative 1

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

A co-worker of mine fell down in a parking lot here in CT, and scraped his elbow. Apparently, he didn't clean it well enough, and ended up with necrotizing fasciitis. 

You never know what can happen, or where. 

In the recent case I saw from Florida, the gentleman had a comprised immune system, which contributed to his condition. 

It is fairly rare, but is present in Maryland and the Chesapeake Bay, according to this article

Common sense in protecting or cleaning wounds immediately, and showering after being at the beach should cut down on any risks. 

I worked with a contractor at a job a few years ago. He was a mechanic for some of our equipment. He was kneeling down and raised up too quickly, bumping his head on a pipe. Seemed relatively harmless. We’ve all bumped our head like that. However, he ended up with necrotizing fasciitis on his head and face because of it and was hospitalized for a few days. I’m sure it’s because he kept right on working and didn’t clean it out. Probably rubbed it with a dirty hand, said a few choice words, and moved on. This happened a few years back, and not from recent events, but further illustrates how a small wound can turn into something bad when not properly taken care of. 

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

My neighbor spent almost a week in the hospital with an infection to his hand from scraping his hand on the blade of his mower when cleaning the mower deck off.  We were just a Matoaka on Saturday afternoon/evening and there we plenty of people in the water.  You can check out the Calvert county beach conditions site.  They monitor the water on public beaches during the summer.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks so much for the link. I was browsing the web but couldn't find something like that.

I work in health care and have seen more than my fair share of necrotizing fasciitis over the years. I was more curious if any of you guys have had any personal run ins for those who hunt the area often.

I've been in Maryland and Virginia waters (including diving) for 2 decades and have many fossil hunting friends doing the same. I've only met one person who caught necrotizing fasciitis in that time. I've not known anyone with a case of vibriosis from external saltwater exposure.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the info. The wife definitely won't be going by the water as she sliced her finger pretty bad and had to go to urgent care last night. Like I said I plan on going for shells and hopefully some teeth. It sounds like it's going to be hot here for my vacation so I'm going to want to be in that water to keep cool.