Marine fossil ID would be most appreciated

Sberebit

Howdy all! I found this and was hoping to put a name to it. This was found in a drainage ditch in South bend Indiana and is glacial till. Thank you for all you do!

image.thumb.png.966321b61c7fcb68e852de8bea276210.png

image.thumb.png.18c7dc5f330208ed559a87e2f9eb9a6d.png

Lots of bryozoan bits. Common to Illinois and Indiana. Most probably local and not glacial till.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I agree with bryozoans.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

25 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Lots of bryozoan bits. Common to Illinois and Indiana. Most probably local and not glacial till.

How is that possible? The glacial till in South Bend is between 100-150 feet thick. 

• I found this Informative 1

The bryozoans need free water to develop, most of them are marine animals. Maybe the item you found comes from a reworked ground, before the last glaciation.

Here is a link concerning the geology of Indiana : http://www.indiana.edu/~paleoind/Lectures/Lecture 6 - Bedrock geology.pdf

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

+1 for glacially transported bryozoan.  Could be Mississippian Marshall Sandstone from further north in Michigan.

8 hours ago, Sberebit said:

How is that possible? The glacial till in South Bend is between 100-150 feet thick. 

Sorry, thought South Bend was Devonian, with minimal till.

Untitled.png

Mark.

15 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Could be Mississippian Marshall Sandstone from further north in Michigan.

For my own curiosity, how did you come to this conclusion?

6 hours ago, Sberebit said:

For my own curiosity, how did you come to this conclusion?

I based it only on appearance of the matrix and probability based on direction of the glacial lobes (recognizing, of course, that there were multiple advances and retreats during the Pleistocene), as well as bedrock geology.  I've done some work with Marshall Sandstone.  The matrix looks like it's sandstone from the photo (can you confirm?) and has a similar color and appearance.  There are expanses of Marshall Sandstone to the north and east (buried under glacial diamicton and outwash).  Definitely not a foregone conclusion, but a reasonable hypothesis. If you can find some clams and / or brachiopods in it, we could at least determine if the time period is consistent with the Marshall Fm.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:01 PM, fifbrindacier said:

Maybe the item you found comes from a reworked ground, before the last glaciation.

Would you please explain what you mean by 'reworked ground'? Thank you.

2 hours ago, Sberebit said:

Would you please explain what you mean by 'reworked ground'? Thank you.

Sometimes pieces of older ground are detached and mixed with newer ground by mouvements of soils, erosion, fall, etc... In that case a piece of the pre-glaciation epoqua might have been detached in mixed with the glaciation age by the mouvement of ice and water from the melting of the glaciers.

In memory of Doren

4 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Sometimes pieces of older ground are detached and mixed with newer ground by mouvements of soils, erosion, fall, etc... In that case a piece of the pre-glaciation epoqua might have been detached in mixed with the glaciation age by the mouvement of ice and water from the melting of the glaciers.

I think what you are describing is called glacial till. See the original post. I was thinking that it might not be . . . 

Mark.

4 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I think what you are describing is called glacial till. See the original post. I was thinking that it might not be . . . 

Sorry i didn't find another traduction of that word than "diminutive of untill".

In memory of Doren

11 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

Sorry i didn't find another traduction of that word than "diminutive of untill".

Not a problem -- we are all here to learn. The more we learn each day, the better we get. The more mistakes we make, the more we learn.

Mark.